Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

need help 2000 impala

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2006, 1:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help 2000 impala

does any one know how to fix multi-function switch in the steering column? i dont want to have to replace the whole switch unless i have to i was told it may be a relay but i dont know where that relay would be please help if possible thank you

Old March 2nd, 2006, 3:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: need help 2000 impala

Why do you think you need to replace your mulit-function switch??
Old March 2nd, 2006, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

well my high beems will not lock on they come on if i hold the switch but they will not stay on. I was told it may be the relay but i dont know which relay it is or where the relay is.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Did you try the high beam lever in forward and back directions? I ask this because almost all cars have a foward position for the high beams and if you pull back on the lever for 'flash-to-pass' or vise versa. Give it a try if you haven't already and let me know what happens.
Old March 8th, 2006, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

there is no way you can push it forward but when you pull it towards yiou it turns the high beems on but i have to hold it because the switch will not catch to keep them on, it just does the flash to pass unless i hold the switch. and its nearly impossible to hold the switch on all the time
Old March 14th, 2006, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Hmmm...... Well for starters I really don't think you'll need a mulit-function switch. The mulit function switch is the actual lever you pull for the bright lights,turn signials and it should also have some other functions on it hence the name multi-function switch. Sounds to me like your going to have to go inside the steering colum by removing the steering wheel and investigate the actual problem. It just sound like the mech that hold the bright lights on is shot.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:45 PM
CF Beginner

You could just use a rubber band and save yourself the headache LoL
Old August 21st, 2006, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Dude, I TOTALLY know what the problem is. This is a common problem. How do I know? Well it has happened to me twice! When I bought my 2000 impala LS, it was doing this, I had it replaced, and it worked great for about 2 years. Now it is starting to do it again. It is just an example of bad design, I'm afraid.

The way it works is there is a "button" of sorts inside the assembly that gets pushed in by a probe when the driver pulls back on the "handle". The button is supposed to lock when it gets pushed in far enough. If yours is anything like mine was, you can probably get the high beams to lock if you tug back on the handle REALLY HARD, but then it's just as hard to get them off, so don't bother. This "button" just seems to go bad over time. It's rather frustrating.

Can you fix it yourself? I doubt it. I tried to fix it by extending the probe with epoxy, but it didn't work. So I'm afraid unless you're more resourceful than I, you will have to replace the whole assembly if you want your high beams to work properly.

~Brandon Conroy
Old February 26th, 2015, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Head lights

If I pull headlights out to cut on brightlights and they don't come on what could be the problem
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmieb3
If I pull headlights out to cut on brightlights and they don't come on what could be the problem
So, does that mean the high beams come on when you pull back on the switch or don't they go on? I've had my 2001 Impala for 150,000 miles and 13 years and it still had the original switch.

Quick Reply: need help 2000 impala