Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Noisy Steering

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2009, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy Steering

My '04 Impala has very noticeable whine when you turn the steering wheel either while sitting still or turning slowly. It becomes a louder whine when you your accelerate (raise the engine RPMs). I've had a garage replace the rack due to finding a leak, but it still has the whiny noise. It is also not low on power steering fluid.

Any thoughts where to look??
Old September 29th, 2009, 9:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Maybe check the strut tower mounts... rubber bushing where the front struts mount up to the tower. If these are worn, it will cause resistance in the steering wheel, but not sure if this will solve the whining especially since you say it gets more pronounced as you accelerate. Something to check though.
Old September 30th, 2009, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

I still think its your power steering. My 01 empala LS made loud wineing noises when I turned, accelerated, etc. just like yours. I checked my power steering fluid and it was at the full mark. I added more and the noise lessened. I added a little more and it stopped.

I've heard others say that your power steering making noises is better than having power steering problems without the noises. If it doesn't make noise it means your going to have to have the pump replaced or something. If it does make nosie then you can probably fix it still.

My steering get hard some times. Something lacking in the power steering, I suppose. But it still works 75% of the time and there is no noise.
Old October 1st, 2009, 7:51 AM
CF Junior Member

What is an "empala" ???
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

When the fluid is low and you add some, it may still need more after you run it for awhile. The reason is that as the pump pumps the fluid through the lines, this also normally pushes any air out the lines. Keep filling and checking after you start the car and turn the wheel from side to side all the way.

You probably have air trapped in the power steering fluid system. Bleed the air out by revving the engine to about 1500-2000 rpm's and turning the steering wheel almost all the way from one side to the other a few times. This should bleed out the air and take care of your problem.

while it reduces squeaks, rattles, and vibration noise
Old March 4th, 2011, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

I would also make sure when they replaced the rack, it was a good rack. Reason for this is because there is a common problem with these racks, where the steering gear spool valve gets noisy. This could be the case on the new rack.
Old March 5th, 2011, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

If you drove the vehicle for a while with low power steering because the rack was leaking you likely damaged the power steering pump.