Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Not blowing heat while idle.

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2011, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not blowing heat while idle.

Ok, so it's getting cold now in the mornings. I used my remote start to warm the car up. I get in after about 10 or 15 minutes and it is bone cold in the car. The settings are all the way up to hot. The temperature hand is showing the normal operating range. The other day, one of my riders went and started the car to get it warm. When I came out he asked if the heat worked because it was still blowing cold. When i increased the rpms i started feeling heat. I also heard what sounded like water running in the area of the heater core everytime i gave it gas. Once we started moving the interior warmed up. Is this a thermostat problem? I noticed it was a little low of anti freeze so i topped it off. I haven't had to try it since then. I guess i will know more in the morning. Anyone else experienced this? Thanks and sorry for the lengthy read.
Old November 4th, 2011, 7:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, low coolant will cause this. another question would be how low was it, and then figure out why. but, if no leaks and everything else is workin right, adding proper amount of coolant should do the trick. if not, you might want to have cooling system pressure tested, have water pump checked.
Old November 4th, 2011, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

I put a half gallon of af/water in. It never has run hot so i never thought to check it. Ive owned it since July and it was full then. It must have a leak although nothing is showing on the ground or in the oil. I'll see what it does in the morning when i start it up. Thanks Maxx
Old November 4th, 2011, 7:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Does it have a thermostat in it?
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The problem you've described could be the result of several different factors. Please keep me posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Last edited by MDTAHOE; November 23rd, 2011 at 9:17 PM.
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

With the engine cold, pull the thermostat see if it is open, or closed. It should be closed.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry folks. Been busy. I'll check the thermostat next chance I get to see if it's open or closed when cold. Louis, I'll check with the dealership if the thermostat is not the problem. Thanks folks!