Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Pothole 1, wife 0

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2016, 8:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pothole 1, wife 0

This past weekend my wife and I had some errands to do. While heading down a back-country road, she hit a pothole. I could tell when it was hit by the hard thud that you could feel right through your whole body. Within a 15-20 seconds, a light for tire inflation lit up and after looking at the inflation pressures we were down to 25, then 20, 15. I told my wife not to stop where were were since we were on an s-curve with no street lighting. We continued to a safe point less than a 1/4 mile away where we still had 5 - 10 psi in the tire. I looked at the right front tire. It had a bruise on the sidewall with an accompanying bulge about 1.5 inches in diameter. At one edge of the bulge air was coming out through a small hole - the tire was toast. I put my hand over the hole to stop the escape and put a compressor on it to get it up off the rim. Withing 5 minutes, the person living at the point we stopped came out and asked if we needed help. I told him about the flat and he said to pull in his driveway as it would be safer. By this time the tire was up off the rim and we could drive it to change the tire.
As I went in the trunk to get the spare, wrench and jack out, I was surprised to find about an inch of water in the spare tire well. This was even after we had the rear tail light seals replaced with that recall. Not good, one more thing to do. I called the dealer first thing Monday morning to make an appointment about the water. They were VERY flexible and gave me an appointment for the following morning with me dropping the car off at closing the night before. While driving to the dealer, I noticed a couple harsh shifts and hunting for gears by the transmission. When I got to the dealer I told them about that as well.
The car was ready as expected Tuesday night. The tail lamp gaskets/seals were replaced again. For some reason the first ones did not take. As for the transmission issue, they drove it and could not reproduce my concern, but did find DTC P11081 and reprogrammed the TCM with an update to address this. What does P11081 indicate?

BTW - the old tire? I luckily had a road hazard warranty on it. I put a claim in for it, got a new tire, have it mounted, balanced and on the car. When things clear up after the stoms we are having, I am going to have my alignment checked. The rim made it through this ordeal ok.
Old January 13th, 2016, 1:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

dtc llsted has to many characters. the format should be PXXXX - 00
X equal base code
0 equal descriptor identification of type of fault that is read by a factory scan tool.

provide the base code p1108 does not come up when I search. any trans dtc would set with a 6 or 7 in the second position.
Old January 14th, 2016, 8:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
dtc llsted has to many characters. the format should be PXXXX - 00
X equal base code
0 equal descriptor identification of type of fault that is read by a factory scan tool.

provide the base code p1108 does not come up when I search. any trans dtc would set with a 6 or 7 in the second position.
I had the same problem in searching for what it stood for. I pulled the code directly off of the repair order. When I asked them about it, they said the RO states this.....
Old January 14th, 2016, 7:17 PM
Super Moderator

its a typo. the service writer doesn't know code nomemclature. the tech would know.
if it doesn't return; its no problem. If it does reset, deal with it them.
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:43 AM
CF Senior Member

I just got back from the alignment shop. They told me the alignment was out just a "smidge" and that the tire basically took the hit and not the car. Happy to hear that! I'll turn the car loose and see how long these tires last......
Old January 20th, 2016, 8:22 PM
Super Moderator

Your ok till the spring thaw pot hole season.
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:37 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
Your ok till the spring thaw pot hole season.
Or the next time the wife drives it (whichever comes first )