Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Power adapters and battery

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2012, 5:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power adapters and battery

My question is under the dash are 2 power adapters on my 2006 Impala LT that I can plug things into. What will happen if I leave them plugged in with the car off? Should I unplug them every time I leave the car? I know the car has battery run down protection at least. On my last car the plugs did not operate unless the key was in the ignition and the car was running.
Old October 15th, 2012, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

I'm not really 100% sure.... I had a Durango before my Imp, and it required the ignition to be turned a least to "ACC" to work, but this is not so with the Impala. My wife uses one plug for an adapter to charge her iPhone and constantly leaves it plugged in, & u can see the little green power indicator light on top of the adapter is still on. We've had this impala for a couple months now, and that adapter is left in on a daily basis. I'm talkin overnight from like 5 pm til 8 am or so the next day, but it's never died and I've never noticed any power drain or difficulty starting up the next day. But it still makes me nervous. I would still recommend unplugging any accessories, but from experience I can tell you if you forget from time to time, yo should still be ok..... Unless the batteries like suuuuuper old and worn out....
Old November 10th, 2012, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up It's Fine

I've had my Impala for about a year and a half. I leave my charger plugged in all day and night. The system is set by the factory to cut out at <12 volts. I found that out by leaving my leds on for three days straight by accident. Yes three days. At worst the interior lights and accessories will not come on until you crank the car up. It is a protective measure. The Impala cranks out more than enough to recomp when you fire it up the next day
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

the bcm operates the run down protection and only opens the interior light and exterior light circuits.
The power outlets are powered directly from the underhood and instrument panel fuse blocks and are NOT bcm controlled and do not have any run down protection.

the 2 outlet circuit fuses are 25 and 20 amps so depending on what the component connected draws; there is potential to discharge a battery overnight.

What are you plugging in and what amp current draw does it say on the component adapter plug?
Old November 11th, 2012, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the bcm operates the run down protection and only opens the interior light and exterior light circuits.
The power outlets are powered directly from the underhood and instrument panel fuse blocks and are NOT bcm controlled and do not have any run down protection.

the 2 outlet circuit fuses are 25 and 20 amps so depending on what the component connected draws; there is potential to discharge a battery overnight.

What are you plugging in and what amp current draw does it say on the component adapter plug?
It says Input / Output: 9-16 V DC / 5 V DC, 1.5 A, but it is an XM Edge radio that plugs into the AUX on the radio and the supplied power adapter.

Last edited by bha19; November 11th, 2012 at 7:20 AM.
Old November 12th, 2012, 8:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

power off the xm radio and you will be fine. A 1.5 amp draw will kill a battery overnight.