Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Remote keyless entry does not work on 2006 Chevy Impala Sedan

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2017, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote keyless entry does not work on 2006 Chevy Impala Sedan

I followed the instructions for reprogramming the fobs. I followed the on screen instructions and when it said push the set reset key the screen did not change. I did it over and over and it did not change. Does this mean that the module is bad? 2006 chevy Impala sedan. Before it quit completel, operation was erratic. Is the module part of the nBCM? Does the dealer have to program a new module? Should I just sell the car?
Old August 20th, 2017, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

I'm the one with the remote key less entry problem on the 2006 Chevy Impala. Like I said I followed the procedure in the owners manual, however it would not go into program. Doing some reading elsewhere, one person suggested pulling the Body Control Module fuse, which I did, but it made no difference. late yesterday I pulled the negative cable on the battery and let the car sit an hour. When i reconnected the cable, I was able to program the fob and all was well. Problem solved. Since no one answered my question, I "assume" no one had an answer. At least in my case this works, but I will say having the owners manual really helps. I get the sense that different model years work differently. Does anyone know why the BCM is even necessary? Literally everything runs through it, so lose the module; lose the car. Head to the dealership, because ONLY THEY CAN PROGRAM THE NEW ONE!
The following users liked this post:
jonathan harris (May 24th, 2020)
Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:03 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi candyspaw, welcome to the forum! I've had to try and add a new key to my 2014 Impala and also it did not work straightforward as indicated in the manual. In certain steps, a sequence of events need to be performed within a certain amount of time, or it will not work. I found this out doing my car, especially reading the manual and trying the step as I most likely timed out.
As for the BCM, yes, it's like putting all you eggs in one basket. However this one computer simply provides outputs based on the inputs it receives. Imagine how complicated this would be if we did not have a BCM and had to rely on separate devices to get the same functions accomplished. With my 2001 Impala, I kept getting a Service Vehicle soon lit on the dash. A trip to the dealer resulted in them just dressing some wire routing, reseating the horn relay and listing the error codes found on the RO. All for $ 85.00! The problem happened again the following morning. By looking up the error codes kindly provided by the dealer and referring to the service manual, I determined that the only place these errors for the headlights and horn crossed lines was in the BCM. I had my wife setup another appointment to have the BCM replaced. When she walked up to the service desk and asked to have a new BCM installed, the service writer asked what makes you think you need that replaced. I coached my wife to say, "By the error codes it has". The service writer then asked, "Where did you get these codes", my wife calmly said, "right here on the RO you handed me last time my car was in for the same problem. BCM replaced = problem fixed.

FYI - when my wife locked the car, she would hit the button on the remote. This would flash the headlights and beep the horn at the same time.
Old August 24th, 2017, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Wink 2006 impala keyless entry does not work

Hey Frank!
Thanks for your very informative reply. I actually fixed the problem a few days ago when I used an old computer move...rebooted. I disconnected the battery for an hour, reconnected it, did the procedure(it let me advance to where I could push the two buttons on the remote), and now the remote works. However your reply was very informative. My problem with the BCM is that, other than keyless entry, I have all the functions on my 1999 Taurus without the BCM. According to the wiring diagrams I've seen, it looks like you could bypass the whole gizmo with jumpers. It's like it was dropped in series into virtually ever circuit in the car. This possibly could give an outside individual like the police or a crook the ability to take control of the car...shut it down at the very least. What say you? Oh and thanks again for your reply. Heck all I need is a drive train and a heater. I could even live without the radio. Anywhere I could get something like that? My 1970 International Scout was just that. No power anything, no radio, nuttin. Loved that thing and kept it for ten years until I needed some money. Now my 1992 Ford F-150 is approaching that state since I won't fix a/c (don't use car a/c) and all the other gew gaws and do dads that die stay that way, because I won't spend money on things I don't need. Yeah, nowadays I'm considered a nut. Thanks again

Originally Posted by Frank3
Hi candyspaw, welcome to the forum! I've had to try and add a new key to my 2014 Impala and also it did not work straightforward as indicated in the manual. In certain steps, a sequence of events need to be performed within a certain amount of time, or it will not work. I found this out doing my car, especially reading the manual and trying the step as I most likely timed out.
As for the BCM, yes, it's like putting all you eggs in one basket. However this one computer simply provides outputs based on the inputs it receives. Imagine how complicated this would be if we did not have a BCM and had to rely on separate devices to get the same functions accomplished. With my 2001 Impala, I kept getting a Service Vehicle soon lit on the dash. A trip to the dealer resulted in them just dressing some wire routing, reseating the horn relay and listing the error codes found on the RO. All for $ 85.00! The problem happened again the following morning. By looking up the error codes kindly provided by the dealer and referring to the service manual, I determined that the only place these errors for the headlights and horn crossed lines was in the BCM. I had my wife setup another appointment to have the BCM replaced. When she walked up to the service desk and asked to have a new BCM installed, the service writer asked what makes you think you need that replaced. I coached my wife to say, "By the error codes it has". The service writer then asked, "Where did you get these codes", my wife calmly said, "right here on the RO you handed me last time my car was in for the same problem. BCM replaced = problem fixed.

FYI - when my wife locked the car, she would hit the button on the remote. This would flash the headlights and beep the horn at the same time.