Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Rotating engine for tune up

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2007, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotating engine for tune up

I would like to install plugs and new plug wires on my 2001 Impala. Engine is 3.8 L. It appears I will have to roll the engine to reach the three plugs and wires next to the firewall. I have the factory manual so I know the procedure for getting the engine ready to rotate. The manual calls for a strap(special tools) and doesn't explain how it's used. Anyone ever do this? Does the engine rotate easily? Any safety issues I should be aware of? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:51 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Rotating engie for tune up

man take it in to a garage and pay someone the 65 bucks or whatever to do it, time you buy the strap and waste all that time.....
Old August 24th, 2007, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

I found an article that explains what the strap is used for. I have a strap that will work, so I'll tackle the job when it cools off a bit here. Thanks for your interest.

http://forum.newimpala.com/cgi-bin/y...m=1185216507/5
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:44 AM
CF Junior Member

The way I did the plug removal was to put a floor jack and a board under the oil pan, just make the 2x4 touch with not to much pressure. Then take the bolts out of the dog bone and let the jack down enough to get to the plugs.
Old August 25th, 2007, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Gad, What moves when you lower the jack? Are you rotating the engine when you raise or lower the jack with the dogbones out? Is this the dogbone?
Name:  Impalaenginemountstrut.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  83.6 KB
Old August 26th, 2007, 3:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Yes that is the dog bone when you take that cross bolt out and release the jack the engine will roll foward. Just be careful with the 2x4 on the oil pan. I kept on the foward side by the bolts not in the middle of the pan.
Old August 26th, 2007, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks.
Old August 27th, 2007, 3:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Let us know how you make out with the plugs.
Old August 29th, 2007, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

All finished with my project. I had read a post on a forum where a guy had found major erosion after 40,000+ miles on his original AC 41-921 plugs, so I decided to bite the bullet and do the tune up at 50,000 miles. I bought a set of Borg Warner lifetime warranty wires and upgraded to AC 41-101 Iridium plugs. The engine only rolls a few inches. I used a pry bar and tied it off when if got it rolled. You still have to work by feel on cylinders 2, 4 and 6. I checked the gap on the new plugs(found out later I wasn't supposed to-the Iridium is hard and brittle and the center electrode will break). The old plugs came out easily. I loosened the old plugs and used compressed air to blow out around them. I removed the old plugs, used a dab of never seize on the new plug threads , installed and torqued them. Put a dab of silicone dielectric compound in each new plug boot and installed them. The car purrs like a kitten. FWIW, all my old plugs were still gapped at .060 with no sign of erosion-I could have probably made 100,000 miles on them. I like the BW wires. They are an exact copy of the factory Chevy wires except color.
Old August 30th, 2007, 2:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Good glad it went well. I hope you did not think the engine would roll over far enough for you to see the plugs. I also used the Iridium plugs.