Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

SBC Rear main seal?

Old September 10th, 2009, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC Rear main seal?

This is with regards to our 1969 Impala. I was beginning some exhaust work a few days ago and was reminded at the uglyness of our oil pan, despite having a nice looking upper engine.

So the plan is, to jack up the engine, drop the pan, clean/repaint the pan, and install a rear main and oil pan gasket.

The car has 44000 miles on it. Has never made a weird noise or used a drop of oil, except kind of dribbling out of the pan and RMS.

It is a 5.7L V8. I just did the same job on our 91 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. I compare the two because they both use two piece rear mains, and I dropped the pan, pump, and rear main cap on the Jeep and was able to eliminate all leaks on the engine (for now, after all it is a Jeep 4.0L).

I was looking at Autozone and Napaonline (i like the online selection of parts for a reference.) And see that FelPro sells three different rear mains. One is a single lip, one is a dual lip, and the other is an offset lip. How do I choose?? The one I got for the Jeep is a dual lip and it seems to work great. But, I do not know how to chose one or the other when offered all three.

Any advice let me know. Thanks!

George
Old September 29th, 2009, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

166 views and no ideas? I'm just wondering which type of RMS to use.
Old September 29th, 2009, 4:39 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy all 3, compare it to the one you remove and return the others.
It is not the technical approach but it may be a sensible one.
Old September 30th, 2009, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

that's a great idea. Not sure why it slipped my mind... After the success with using the dual lip seal on our Jeep... depending on what I find in the Chevy I may be leaning towards that. Would anyone be interested in me taking picture sof the job? I will do my best with the camera and space I have...
Old September 30th, 2009, 8:21 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gasteffens
that's a great idea. Not sure why it slipped my mind... After the success with using the dual lip seal on our Jeep... depending on what I find in the Chevy I may be leaning towards that. Would anyone be interested in me taking picture sof the job? I will do my best with the camera and space I have...
We always love to see pictures of someone's project.