Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Side Blind Zone Monitoring system not functioning

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2018, 6:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Blind Zone Monitoring system not functioning

Originally Posted by Mike Kwarciany
I have a 2014 Impala LTZ with just over 50,000 miles on it. I didnt have it for more than a month when I was struck by another car on the passenger side rear, right where the blind zone module is located. Needless to say it was replaced. Fast forward to 2017, my blind zone detector says its not working and needs to be serviced. I took it to the dealer and he ways I need both modules and a wiring harness. I think I was quoted over $1000.00. I took it back to the body shop because they offered a lifetime warrenty on their repairs. they replaced the wiring harness and the module on the side it was hit. It worked for a while but this last winter, my blind zone warning came on, my reverse warning wont work and my front camera doesnt work.
One service person at the dealer ship told me that the modules will swell up when they get full of salt and water and thats exactly what happened. What kind of system does GM put on its cars that works like that. A large amount of the cars they sell are in areas with salt and snow.
I have always been a GM guy but this makes me wonder. I shouldnt have to deal with this type of stuff on such a low mileage car.

I didn't get anywhere with GM. So much for "LOYALTY" I traded in the Impala for a Nissan.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

So you're telling me that it's not looking good for me?
I have a 2014 2LTZ & been having an issue for a while now. Checked fuse 62 that's still good.
Not looking forward to spending $1,000 on something that sounds like a known issue on Chevy's part.
Old October 20th, 2018, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Good luck

On my 2015 Impala LS they have replaced the drivers side unit 5 times and the passenger side twice. Now that it is out of warranty I am being told I have to pay$800.00 to fix it. Well it was never fixed in the first place. If you look at the internet this is a very known issue with Chevy. The units do not last and instead of owning up seems they just ride it out until your warranty is up. Very disappointing the way Chevy is handling this
Old November 2nd, 2018, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

I also have had a blind spot sensor go bad, which would blow the fuse, causing messages in the DIC for blind spot, front camera, and (I think) park assist needing service (fed by same fuse). I troubleshot it and it was the drivers side module that had swelled up. My passenger side one was ok. Expensive part, and them I read somewhere that the dealers had to do some procedure once the new one was installed, so I waited, and had the dealer do it when I had a coupon for discount on service (still expensive). I almost didn't replace it but was going to just cut the pins off the bad module so it wouldn't blow the fuse.
Yea, not impressive engineering. It better not happen again, or it might be what keeps me from getting another GM! Do other makes (Honda, Toyota, etc.) have these issues? Guess I will have to go and read their forums to find out.
Old March 5th, 2019, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default You aren't alone!!

Originally Posted by mpieroway
There is a definite issue with the side detection system, all the sensitive electronics for it are just up under the rear valance of the Impala. They are exposed to all kinds of environmental exposure, namely water (and salt if your roads are salted in the winter) and have absolutely no waterproofing. Such a simple solution to avoid the issue and something that would have cost GM pennies. The same components are used across many of the GM model lines and according to the parts guy at my local dealership, he can't keep the control modules in stock (there are two in each vehicle). I am in discussion with GM Canada now because I have purchased five of the modules ($500 each) and two of the wire harnesses ($130 each) to repair my system. All they seem to think is appropriate is to offer to fix it at 50% of the repair cost.

What they are trying to avoid acknowledging is that the shorting caused by the electrical component corrosion, wreaks havoc with the entire computer system in the vehicle. I have had eight power downs while operating my Impala on the highway, and no error codes log. I figure at this point it will take fatalities for GM to do a recall and actually solve the issue. Some one else said Service Bulletin, the problem with Service Bulletins is it is still a customer responsibility to pay for the repair.

Don't get me wrong I love my Impala, but this is a major issue.

I bought a used 2014 Impala LTZ 2Z last summer with 40k miles and within three months the side object sensors had failed. I ignored them for a bit, hoping to do them at tax time and I was driving down the road last week (coincidentally two days before my refund hit the bank) when EVERYTHING in my car quit. I cannot believe that GM is not addressing this issue because it is absolutely a safety issue. I had no defrost/heat in zero below weather, my seat moved all weird, no blinkers, no speedometer, nothing. I was fortunate to be able to get it home at least. I ordered the parts immediately and lo and behold....every damn dealer and GM parts store has these things on backorder!!!! Surprised? No. Apparently this is a widespread issue. What I want to know is what can we do about it? How do we get them to issue a recall?? Anyone know??
Old March 10th, 2019, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2014 impala lt I purchased it new. It has 52k on it. Yes my passenger side blind spot is started staying on even with the Carr off. After reading a few of these threads in the long run there should be a recall. In the short run it would be nice to be able to fix ourselves. It seems the programming part will be the hard part. I we in stall new sensors and wiring does anyone know what the dealer is charging to program the new modual?
Old March 10th, 2019, 3:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

most programming is billed out at 1 hour labour time. $100 to $135
Old March 10th, 2019, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

In some posts it has been mentioned that there is a updated version of modual and harness that are sealed better than the originals. Has anyone installed these and had luck?
Old May 27th, 2019, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

I just got a recall notice from GM. Extened the mileage to 85k and 6 years. I will be calling to make an appointment tuesday. The funny thing is i was going to take the bumper off tuesday and check connections for corrosion now it is all on gms dime.
Old July 22nd, 2019, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same issue as everyone has mentioned--Service Side Detection System warning coming on after dash lit up like Tokyo at night, shutting off my HVAC and cruise control. Also got a message saying front camera was faulty and my 2014 LTZ doesn't have that.

However, I just talked to my dealer and he said my eligibility ran out 5 days ago, or just 4 days before I suffered the problem while on a weekend trip. The car was purchased new in July 2013 and had less than 12,000 miles on it at the time the problem surfaced (not a typo; I'm 92 and the car sits in a garage all of the time). So because of those five days I am now supposed to pay $1000 to fix what was a design flaw from the beginning? The dealer bulletin was issued in April of 2019 but no mention was ever made to owners. Tell me that isn't underhanded, not-in-good-faith behavior on the part of GM. I don't care what kind of bath I take on a trade...if I have to spend a nickel to fix this fiasco I am thru with American cars,as will be my kids (one of whom recently bought a GM car based on my foolish recommendation).

Quick Reply: Side Blind Zone Monitoring system not functioning