Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Spark plugs question

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2009, 3:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

This sounds like something I should consider doing (replacing Plugs & Wires) before making my trip from NV to NY. Question is if I will have the money. I know I am doing an oil change and replacing the air filter. Sounds like if I decide to do it, I will have some fun. I have a 3.8L V6 3800 series. Then again, maybe I will just wait till I get back to NY. hehe
Old February 11th, 2009, 9:44 PM
Impala Super Moderator

3800 isnt hard to do, go for it. You will see improvement
Old February 12th, 2009, 3:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Cool

Originally Posted by HotSauce6226
3800 isnt hard to do, go for it. You will see improvement
I have about 86K miles on it and have had it for 10 months now. I have no idea if a tune-up was done before I bought (doubt it). Plug wires look good, but unsure. Maybe I should take a crack at it here in the next couple weeks. If I do, I will let you all know how I made out and how long it took. Are we setting a record time here by change? hehe Just kidding. Anyone recommend a good Spark Plug? Would be nice to get ones that offer great performance and long life for a decent price (not cheap, but not super pricey). Any recommendations for Plug Wires too?
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Impala Super Moderator

Sure AcDelco plugs and wires.
Thats all you need
Old June 19th, 2011, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2002 impala plugs

I'm going to change the plugs in my 2002 Impala, and when I looked at them, they are in one, easily accessible line, on top. What gives? It seems that most Impalas have the plugs in 2 lines, with the back set being difficult to access. Do I have a mutant?
Old June 19th, 2011, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

wombat, sounds like you have a straight 6 in your car... strange i dont think they offered them in that model, maybe someone swapped the engine out before you got it? Are all 6 plugs in a straight line?
Old June 20th, 2011, 5:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2002 Impala plugs

I had gotten the car as a company car (new) then purchased it at the end of the lease. The engine is the original. Maybe that's what they were putting in the corporate cars? Seems a little strange to have different engines, but it makes my life easier when I need to change the plugs...They are all in a straight line.
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

thats really different! you must have a rare one on your hands.. All i can find about the inline 6 in recent chevy vehicles is about it being put into trucks in 2002.

Chevrolet Straight-6 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old June 22nd, 2011, 5:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Spark plugs question

Thanks lunchbox_89. I checked out the links and think I might potentially have the Atlas with a broader power profile that was being put into trucks. I'd always wondered if there was something different about my car - it definitely got better than average gas mileage and had amazing acceleration when coasting downhill (no gas applied). Don't know if it is the Atlas engine, or if the engine does have something to do with the mileage/coasting, but it does confirm that my car is different...Thanks again.