Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Stabilitrak Problems

Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabilitrak Problems

hi, so i just had my 2012 impala with 36k miles at the dealer a few weeks ago due to a stabilitrak problem. turned out there was a code in the system and it was a bad left wheel speed sensor. Well now I have a new problem. only after cold start, when i turn the wheel sharply, from 0mph, and then ease on the gas, there is a horrible grinding noise and the stabilitrak light flashes and the power cuts off for a split second. after the first time it does it in the day, it usually won't do it again until the next day or until the next cold start. i brought the car to the dealer and there is no code in the system and they could not replicate the problem. I got the mechanic in the car and tried and it didnt happen. i figured maybe i am crazy or spinning the tires inadvertantly and taking off too hard. so tomorrow morning it happened again after i reversed the car, put it in drive, turned the wheel sharply to the right, and eased on the gas i heard the horrible grinding noise, stabilitrak light flashed, and felt power decrease. So i have no idea what to do. its still under bumper to bumper warranty until 48k miles because it was CPO. but i dont know where to go.. any suggestions would be great. thanks a lot!
Old January 23rd, 2014, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

im thinking maybe its a transmission problem and the stabilitrak light is just flashing because it thinks the wheel is slipping but really the trans is slipping.. idk
Old February 7th, 2014, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Ok so finally the service stabilitrak light came on and I brought it in. It was a broken wire from the left wheel speed sensor. Hopefully this can help someone else down the line . Thanks everyone who viewed
Old February 8th, 2014, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Yea this happened to me earlier this week...It said Service Traction Control/Stabilitrak. I took it in to Chevy and of course they hammered me on the price but glad it's done. Only took them 2 hrs along with the other work I needed done
Old February 9th, 2014, 3:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

usmc_399 and luweezyana1,

I am glad you two were able to have your concerns resolved. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 17th, 2014, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stabilitrak problem 2012 Impala

I am having the same problem. My dash is flashing service stabilitrak. I had it hooked to a machine and it says the left front wheel sensor is erratic. Is this covered under powertrain warranty? Or does anyone know about how much I am looking at?
Old March 19th, 2014, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stabilitrak/Power decrease

I have 2010 Impala that when it rains or on long trips the "service stabilitrak" and "engine power decreased" warnings come on. At this point it then shifts very hard and seems like the engine is about to die. I have had it checked at multiple mechanic shops and was told I would have to take it to a dealer which I refuse to do because they charge too much and if the dealers knew what they were doing in the first place these chevy vehicles would not have this problem. I have read so many threads about this issue and seen too many people from Chevy customer service say to pull on the side of the road, have a technician do an inspection, and be careful because its not safe. But Chevy refuses to do a safety recall and fix the issue. I will stand by waiting for my mail to show up when someone with money finally sues Chevy because of injury or loss of life and go get the safety recall fixed. This problem is why they are being over taken by other vehicle manufacturers because safety should be a pro-active approach and not a reactive, fix it before instead of waiting till something bad happens then reacting. This is the exact reason I will never buy a chevy again and why the majority of my military buddies are trading their chevy in for something else.