Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Transmission Fluid change? yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2007, 2:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid change? yes or no?

Ok I have a chevrolet impala 2000 3.8L and it is an ex-police cruiser. I got it in January 2007 with 112,000 miles on it. So far I have had the spark plug wires changed, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil changes of course but never the transmission fluid changed. I took it to many car shops and asked the mechanic about changing it and they all say NO. They say if I have not owned the car since day 1 and have no history of maintenance especially transmission fluid changes, not to do it cause the transmission may lock up with a new change.

Is this true or not? am I safe to go ahead with a new transmission fluid change? The car now has close to 140,000 miles on it now.
Old August 26th, 2007, 3:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Transmission Fluid change? yes or no?

The car was probably on a prventative maintaince schedule. If the fluid does not smell burnt and still has the red color to it I would change it.
Old November 13th, 2007, 7:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Is there any truth to this theory? My car has just over 90K and the tranny isn't as smooth as it should be so I am thinking about having it serviced. I am the second owner so I don't know what has ocurred prior to 65K.
Old November 13th, 2007, 8:11 AM
CF Junior Member

I would have it serviced. You may save it. If you use it the way it is it probably will get worse with time.
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

an article I read a while back- dealt with the scenario where a tranny hasnt had the fluid changed in a long time.
They get the fluid changed/ get a flush and filter change... and a few days later the tranny fails.
the article stated that many times- over time the tranny had some of its little passageways become clogged with whatever clogs stuff... be it grime or metal particles....
when they did the flush and filter change- this unclogged some of the blocked stuff - and now the tranny was working as it was supposed to- but it also uncovered stuff that was hidden by the clogged passages- and the tranny soon failed.
article made alot of sense.
but like mentioned- if it was a police vehicle- it most likely was on a severe duty maintenance schedule.... I would go ahead and change it.
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I have a 2010 with just over 40 K on it. Was considering a change to synthetic. What say you?
Old September 19th, 2011, 5:36 PM
CF Junior Member

When I drove company cars, a management company handled repairs and maintenance for out cars. They would pay for a fluid change every 30,000 until the mileage exceeded 60,000. Once the mileage passed 60,000 and the fluid had not been changed, they would not let us get it changed because of the possibility of the transmission failing.
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine why regular fluid changes would destroy a transmission. I would think it would prolong their life. Has anyone ever researched this with GM?
The following users liked this post:
Alvaro niņo (April 10th, 2021)
Old June 27th, 2012, 3:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Owned a Malibu for 100,000 miles. Never changed the plugs or any fluid. Ran well till I sold it. I have changed the fluid on various vehicles and found at times it was a waist of money. Fluid should be changed if it is contaminated or dark grey. My opinion don't change it unless you change the filter at the same time. Otherwisw stick to the what the owners manual recomends.
Old June 27th, 2012, 9:40 PM
CF Junior Member

There are numerous posts on the various W-Body forums about the 4T65E transaxle failing shortly after a complete flush. Most recommend just dropping the pan, replacing the filter and topping off with fresh fluid. Solenoid failure and (pre 2003) 4th gear failure due to deteriation of non-hardened splines on the clutch hub shaft are also common problems.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid change? yes or no?