Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2006, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission issue

hello, i am a new member and new to the chevy community so please bear with me. i have an 2000 automatic with 80k. here is my problem:

when i am driving for a long period of time, say 45 mins and on, the check engine light comes on and it feels like the transmission is totally slipping! when i come to a stop and take off again, first gear seems fine until it hits second gear and its like it goes straight to 4th! so i brought it to my mechanic who diagnosed a torque converter problem. so it was replaced. same problem. then the error message was something about a solenoid. the mechanic said the solenoid was in good condition and that it must be a physical problem with the transmission. i should note, when he replaced the torque converter, a few peices of metal were found, ver small peices but nonetheless. so the mechanic wants to take apart the transmission and essentially replace it. does this make sense?

thanks all for your help.

canatro
Old September 1st, 2006, 6:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: transmission issue

I would agree with him, as anything other than small shavings are bad. It sounds to me like you have a trannly problem and if you actually had metal pieces in your fluid you do need to rebuild your tranny or will need to soon.
Old September 1st, 2006, 8:45 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: transmission issue

Ditto on kcb37's answer. The Transmission should have been gone through when the converter replaced. Sounds like worn out clutches and bands.