Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Transmission issues.....HELP

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2019, 12:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issues.....HELP

Hi guys im new here. Recently got a 07 Impala to do some paint correction and serious detailing so its not my daily,

Its a 2007 Chevy Impala 5.3ltr V8 with an automatc and about 146,000 miles. I noticed a spuratc hard shift every once in a while when driving under 40mph. I checked T fluid and it is dark in color. Would that hard shift be relavent to the shift solenoids?

I will start by adding new Decron VI fluid by discononecting one of the tranny lines then top off it off to specs. Any other suggestions on this issue im having?

Note: still looking on the transmission case to find exactly what trans I got. Would the VIN# help at all?

Thanks
Old June 8th, 2019, 1:51 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ddemier7
Hi guys im new here. Recently got a 07 Impala to do some paint correction and serious detailing so its not my daily,

Its a 2007 Chevy Impala 5.3ltr V8 with an automatc and about 146,000 miles. I noticed a spuratc hard shift every once in a while when driving under 40mph. I checked T fluid and it is dark in color. Would that hard shift be relavent to the shift solenoids?

I will start by adding new Decron VI fluid by discononecting one of the tranny lines then top off it off to specs. Any other suggestions on this issue im having?

Note: still looking on the transmission case to find exactly what trans I got. Would the VIN# help at all?

Thanks
You should have a 4T65E model automatic transmission in your 2007 5.3 liter Chevy Impala. Never hurts to have good transmission fluid in an automatic.

Old June 8th, 2019, 9:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Angry

is that transmission known for having faultY shift solenoids or faulty TC in the 4t65e ?

Last edited by ddemier7; June 8th, 2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old June 8th, 2019, 3:23 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

yes. its pretty much the only trans all them fwd imp use even the 2000 models.
Old June 8th, 2019, 5:01 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
yes. its pretty much the only trans all them fwd imp use even the 2000 models.
Yeap. Surpized that it has a 5.3 liter V8 installed. Chevrolet sure lost lots of sales to the police back when they dumped the RWD Caprice, and now they are dumping the Impala? Oh, well, I guess some pencil-neck college wizard did all the math, and now it's "sayonara" to another nice Chevrolet vehicle.

Everyone wants a freaking SUV, that they never use off-road these days, so I suppose I can see the logic in that decision. More $$$ in the petroleum companies pockets too.
Old June 8th, 2019, 5:09 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by ddemier7
is that transmission known for having faultY shift solenoids or faulty TC in the 4t65e ?
Not really, but sure it has some issues. Most automatics do. It's a price we pay for having a gear-box we dont need to constantly shift, instead of a stick-shift transmission. Its the same in the trucking biz, with all of these new "auto-shift" slush-boxes. When those go down out on the road, its some major $$$ to have them repaired, Like on the order of $12,000 USD minimum, and usually a lot more greenbacks then that amount. Owner-operator's wont touch an auto-shift, and I sure as hell wouldn't either.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; June 8th, 2019 at 5:14 PM.
Old June 9th, 2019, 7:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Angry

Update: I changed my T- fluid and and now its real sluggish. I can floor the car and its very slow to get up and going. All the gears work now with no hard shifting present but very slugish. Any profesional suggestions ot transmission experts out there?

Fluid was dark in color.
Old June 10th, 2019, 5:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Update: could this be a symptom of clogged catalytic converter? The sluggish acceleration is similar to clogged converters. Just an idea.
Old June 12th, 2019, 5:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Angry

update: It was not my cats. The pressure tested jyst fine thanks to our local muffler shop. looks like its the transmission?

would you guys do a rebuild transmission or used?

Last edited by ddemier7; June 13th, 2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old June 13th, 2019, 10:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Angry

Update: transmission shop agrees there is a problem but thinks its related to something external such as a computer or power distribution box. The transmission shop recommends me taking it to a certified mechanic to have a diagnostic performed. Any known issues with the wiring or computer modules on these impalas that can cause this type of shifting?

Last edited by ddemier7; June 13th, 2019 at 10:04 AM.