Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

What is acceptable oil consumption 2014 Imp 3.6L

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2017, 9:26 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What is acceptable oil consumption 2014 Imp 3.6L

I just changed the oil in my 2014 2LTZ Impala. Just before I did, I checked the level. It was 1 qt low. The car has 38000 miles on it. I use dexos oil only it it and I cannot see any external oil leaks in the car. Any ideas? BTW - It has travelled about 3200 miles since it was full at the last oil change.
Old May 13th, 2017, 8:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

gm will tell you that is acceptable. During the silverado oil consumption era;
they issued a document that states allowable oil consumption.

Did you check the level when it was filled 3200miles ago? Maybe it wasn't filled to the full mark.
Old May 15th, 2017, 9:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I had the oil changed last time, I checked it as I did this time, and both times, it was right at the full mark on the dipstick.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2012 is the same. When I first purchased it I was surprised at how soon the change oil indicator came on. It goes through oil pretty fast. The dealer told me its within normal range. Unfortunately, for oil that's supposed to last such a long time I'm only getting a couple thousand miles out of it. Also, I'm nowhere near the 29 mpg highway. Never have been. Something is odd about chevy claim for fuel efficiency. Then again considering the problems I and others have had with this vehicle, something odd about chevy's inability to acknowledge common issues.