Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Won't start but wait 20 minutes then it starts, But not always.

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2017, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start but wait 20 minutes then it starts, But not always.

I have a 2003 Chevy Impala. Sometimes it won't start for no reason, but I found if I move the shifter a little a couple times it started, but it doesn't always start when I move the shifter. I've had it in several times and they can't find the problem. Can someone help me? This has been going on for almost a year and it's making me Nuts. The car has 118,500 miles on it and it was purchased
new by my parents.
Old March 27th, 2017, 8:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Does it crank with the shifter in neutral?
Old March 27th, 2017, 10:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome Wanda63. When you say it won't start, are you saying it won't crank? Or is it cranking over without starting? Does it appear that the movement of the shifter is more random and may not be connected to the no start condition?
Old April 1st, 2017, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Does it crank with the shifter in neutral?
Hi kevinpk and Frank3,
It won't crank but the radio and lights work fine. Last time I moved the shifter a couple times, waited 15 minutes, tried again and it started. I've never tried putting it in neutral, as kevinpk suggested, then try to start it. I've had it towed numerous times and it has started a few times after it's been towed to the repair shop. One time I stopped to get gas and when I got back in, it wouldn't start so I moved the shifter and steering wheel but it still wouldn't start so I waited 20 minutes and moved them again then it start.
Old April 6th, 2017, 6:57 PM
CF Active Member

If I understand the issue with your car correctly then it has hard time to start when the engine warm or hot but not cold. Is that correct?
If that's the case then the culprit is the camshaft sensor.