K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

(1976 K5 blazer 4X4) PLEASE HELP OUT

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2006, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (1976 K5 blazer 4X4) PLEASE HELP OUT

Hey there. Well I was hoping you guys could help me out? a little? An older gentleman across the street from me is selling a 1976 K5 Blazer 4x4 and I don't know if his price is too high or not? He's asking $2,500. I've taken a look around the truck and it does have rust, not a ton but on some parts like around the wheel wells and on the doors and probably some other spots , the rust has eatin through. The body itself does not have any dents from what I could see. The front windshield is cracked, the tires are bald but the truck does have a suspension lift on it (4" i think?) but not sure what brand,im sure its old. The wheels are old as well and are probably factory, they are orange (that's what color the truck is) The interior has gone to crap, the carpet isn't worth a damn and mostly everything else inside the truck needs to be replaced as well. From what the guy says is that the heater works along with the AC, the 4 x 4 works and he also says it has a corvette motor in it, he started it up and it sounds strong but it might just sound good because it has a single flow master muffler on it.

I first offered him $1000 and he said no way, I waited a month and he didn't sell it so I upped my offer to $1,500 he told me he stuck it in the paper again and wants to "test the water" So my questions are, is the model worth it to restore? As much as I listed that's wrong is it is it worth it for $1,500 if he takes my offer? Id like to refinish this truck top to bottom but want to get others opinions first before I take on the task

Questions wanted

Opinions wanted

Suggestions wanted

Thanks for your time
Old October 12th, 2006, 8:34 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: (1976 K5 blazer 4X4) PLEASE HELP OUT

first thing i'll say 2 U is DOUBLE what ever U think you'll want 2 spend on your resto.the truck is a '76 so, acceptable body rust (and repair) is up 2 U, but what's the milage? and what kinda vette did the motor come from? so many questions to ask,so little space 2 do it in. while the gentleman is your neighbour (and hopefully a good one) it still would be wise 2 have a mechanic,friend or yourself (if U know how) do a compression test and do a quick once-over to see if there R any surprises.good luck-post some pic's if you do buy it.
Old October 12th, 2006, 9:15 PM
CF Senior Member

one thing to look for on the body is around the tailgate in the back corners they like to rot out around the body mounts in that aria. the rest depends on how mecanicly inclind you are to do the work yourself as to how much its going to cost. good luck with it.
Old October 13th, 2006, 1:30 AM
CF Active Member

sorry, forgot 2 teel U the biggest spot(s) 4 body rot on all the suburban's i've owned ( and seen), is the upper rear pillar area where the side body panel and roof are welded 2gether. i mention this (in case U didn't know) because the blazerjimmy is the same body design as a 'burb-just shorter. if this area is gone on the truck, then it's a good bet that the rear floor area in the spare tire-well and across the tail-gate area will be going or already gone, as well. like Nomad76lj stated, everything will depend on your own abilities-or that of your friends!
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks you guys!!

I will look at it a little bit better tomorrow..

From the round about info I gave, is $1,500 decent price? The guy called me tonight and said he would take my $1,500 offer, I told him Id have it by friday. But before I hand him the cash I kinda want to make sure im not getting ripped..

Even if the motor has high miles on it im not too worried, I think I am going to rebuild it..
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:11 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks you guys!!

I will look at it a little bit better tomorrow..

From the round about info I gave, is $1,500 decent price? The guy called me tonight and said he would take my $1,500 offer, I told him Id have it by friday. But before I hand him the cash I kinda want to make sure im not getting ripped..

Even if the motor has high miles on it im not too worried, I think I am going to rebuild it..
dasanii19;
is $1500 a good price? it could be a good price if the body doesn't require any major work, and u plan on only needing/wanting 2 put cash into the motor (that alone could run u 4 or 5 grand easily), what about the beefing up the rest of the driveline to deal with more power & torque? (even more $) but it's hard 2 say without physically seeing the truck and hearing it run. what u have 2 remember is, that you are the one buying this K5, and only u have 2 live with the decision u make. good luck, and post some pic's of your project truck-if u buy it.
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

4-5 grand on the motor? wow thats alot to spend on a motor. I build my old 350 small block top to bottom for $1,400 with headers. Anyways I picked up the 76' K5 today for $1,250. Here are a few pictures I took..

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../1DSC02074.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../2DSC02075.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../3DSC02076.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../4DSC02077.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../5DSC02078.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../6DSC02079.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../7DSC02080.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../7DSC02081.jpg

I want to restore this truck top to bottom, Im going to re paint it to its original color . The only thing that kinda scares me is the body work, ive never done it before, I dont think it could be that hard.. right??? I was even thinking I could take a body work class down at the community college, I dont know.... Let me know what you guys think

Old October 24th, 2006, 2:17 AM
CF Active Member

dasanii19
saw the pic's of your new truck, doesn't look 2 bad.good luck with the body work-just make sure u dig deep, and get ALL the rust out when u replace panels.the tailgate area looks good (from the outside). depending on your how well (and 2 what level) u want 2 'restore' this truck, if time is not a problem, why not get a quote from a couple of well known body shop's. the $ could be justifiable since quality of the work done should put u towards a show quaility truck. eithier way u decide 2 have the body looked after, it looks like the truck is a good base 2 start on. keep a scrap book of all the work done and post some pic's when u get it done. good luck.
Old July 28th, 2007, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Hey dasanii19, cool truck! I was just browsing and came across this thread. Have you gotten very far with your resto since your last post last Oct. I'm asking because I just got a 76 4x4 Blazer and I too am planning on a resto. what kinda problems have you come across so far? any advice for a fellow K5 restorer? If you want I can put up some pic of my new toy too. good luck