K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

72 k5 blazer 350 wont crank only makes a loud click

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2019, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 k5 blazer 350 wont crank only makes a loud click

Hi everyone.

im having something odd happen to me and im stumped.
A few days ago i took my k5 blazer on a drive and i had stop to get some gas, i filled it up and went to start it and it only click, so i thought the battery died and go a buddy to come jump it.

i crank it and all it did was a loud click. I went and beat on the starter and after a few minutes it crank up. But now i went and replaced the starter and i cant get it to crank at all, it keeps doing a loud click with the new starter on.

Has anyone had this happen to them before?
any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old January 30th, 2019, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

New solenoid as well??
Old January 30th, 2019, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah i went and bought the new starter with a new solonoid on it. Its odd to me it does this with the new starter too since i thought the old one crap out on me.

im not sure if this could be it but i dont know if i put some wires backwards when i installed the starter or not but could having wires backwards cause that?
Old January 30th, 2019, 10:53 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Did you check the battery cables for corrosion and being Loose? You can't reverse the battery cable on the starter, it only goes in one place. Does the solenoid have 1 or 2 posts for wires? Since it made a loud click I would suspect the battery cable or connections.
Old February 1st, 2019, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Its a 2 post teminal, it has a purple and a green i think and i cleaned up the battery terminals on it and does a loud click but i went to get it tested and it works fine so im stumped.

i did unhook netrual safety and it did nothing but click with the purple wire hook.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 12:15 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the battery for voltage? Maybe you have a loose alternator belt, so the battery voltage is too low.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

Battery good it has 12.45 volts and i charge another battery up and tried it and still nothing.

The altenator is good on it it just doesnt want to crank for me lol. I dont know if there a switch out or the battery cable shorted out when i turn the key all the power is there and when i crank it the brake light lights up but it only clicks which is puzzling me.

could one of the ignition wires shorted out to it?
i did hook a multimeter up to the solonoid wires and they are getting 12 volts to them but it wont crank up.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 4:15 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. There is something called a jump out switch that connects between the battery positive post and the starter solenoid. That bypasses all of your ignition circuit. They are about $15.00 You press the switch and the starter should activate.

2. You may have a bad battery ground to the engine or frame. It's cold here. I don't know if it is cold there, but bad grounds and other connectors show up in cold weather.
Old February 8th, 2019, 2:34 PM
CF Active Member

It could be an alignment issue with the starter gear not being able to engage with the flywheel. Any shims come with the new starter or where there any in place when you took the old starter off?
Old February 8th, 2019, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

It came with shims but i havent tried it yet i went ahead and replaced the ignition switch and i havent put the starter back on yet.

but my old starter did the same thing it would click and eventully catch i did try to cross the starter solonoid with a wire and a screw driver like you can do on lawn mowers when the starter solonoid quits and all it did was click and didnt engauge.