K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

86 K5 Blazer Silverado Starter/Wiring Issue

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2014, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 K5 Blazer Silverado Starter/Wiring Issue

I recently bought an 86 K5 just for a something to do project. It originally had the 305 but was swapped for the 350. Long story short turning the key does nothing, no starter no clicks pops hisses or anything. Took out the starter and using jumper cables to the starter from the battery can get the starter to engage and spin. However when its mounted and wired the original way can not jump it from underneath the truck.

I think during an attempted resto the original owner did a hack job on the wiring trying to change things out and messed everything up. I've checked the fuses, and started tracing wires to see if there are any that are unhooked or touching metal but my knowledge on electrical and wiring is very limited. There seem to be a lot of wires that arent hooked up to anything, like three large wires going to the roof and then there are hookups on the outside almost like three antennas. found two wires just hanging inside the firewall that matched up to two other ones and turns out I got the horn to work? The battery is brand new, I've seen that question asked a lot and like I said earlier the starter will operate properly when I used the jumper cables from the battery but not from the original wiring.

My question is what should I do from here? I've got the entire interior out and the time to do it and respond to any questions to clarify anything but not the thousands of dollars it would cost to pay a mechanic to rewire it. I appreciate any help anyone has to offer in advance.

I forgot to mention the only thing that works is the lights, hooked up the battery turn the key and pull the light switch and they work. Nothing else works. pwr windows and locks do nothing. Not sure if that helps or not. Thanks again.

1986 chevy K5 blazer silverado. 5.7 350.

Last edited by RubiRidge; October 6th, 2014 at 1:35 PM. Reason: Ads