K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

92 K5 air intake and etc...

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2007, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 K5 air intake and etc...

Hey guys! I'm new here. So far, this place is great! I have a few questions...

My truck is a 92 k5 blazer. It was completely rebuilt about 2 years ago. I work with a guy who was a mechanic for a long time and he tells me there have been alot of upgrades done to the engine, and that it's now "high performance". He told me I couldn't really take it to just any mechanic because they would most likely tune the engine to a stock K5, and that could seriously hurt my engine since it's been modified. Is this really the case? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction to finding a good high performance mechanic near Sherman Oaks, CA that acually knows this truck and is honest? Or a website that could give me more info?

Next...

About a month ago, the transmisson cooling line busted a leak, and i didn't realize it until i started to loose power. It was spraying everywhere in the engine. So i bought a new hose and replaced it. Works great. But the engine (which was quite nice before this incident) is pretty dirty now. Really dirty. There is still transmission fluid around the front of the engine (air compressor, fan, radiator, hoses, etc...) I cleaned it, but it seems to be coming from the felt on the hood and other places that it pooled up. What is the best way to clean this mess up? Can i completely remove the felt from the hood without replacing it? Is this hurting the performance of the truck?

That being said, I am thinking about getting the k&n air intake that goes on top of the throttle body. It is supposedly easy to install, but is it really as simple as it sounds? Will I have to adjust anything in the throttle body, or will this affect the mass airflow sensor in any way?

And finally, can anyone suggest any upgrades that will either increase tourque, throttle response, horsepower, or gas mileage (its around 9-10 now)? It's tough to find anything for the 92 k5, since it's a little rare.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I love my truck, and I only want the best for it!!! And it looks great in the process!

-J
Old April 27th, 2008, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 92 K5 air intake and etc...

oK!

i have my blazer on a four inch rancho lift, with 33's

aem cold air intake, flow tech headers, dual chamber flowy, with a turn down before the axle.

the intake came with a throttle body spacer.. it is a pain to put in cause your fuel line in the back of the bodydoesnt like to stretch, so you have to un-bolt it and wrestle it to make her work..

i think i might just skip the spacer, but i have no idea how much it helps.

headers, get the long tubes! more torque, and better sound... better mpg

and do what you want for the muffler but flows are gonna be a good bet.

i could say on the freeway im gettin about 16.. and who knows around town..

double up the gaskets, or get the copper crush gaskets so you dont get leaks like me.. it sucks having to constantly tighten them down, but you have to with any pair.. also make relief cuts.. helps em seal when they expand and contract from the heat..

thats about all i have.. im gonna put an ls2 in my truck, they get 28 mpg in the corvette so i should get 20???

good luck man! v-8's drink it no mater what!
Old April 27th, 2008, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 92 K5 air intake and etc...

also, what do you have done to your motor?

not much you can do to mess it up unless you have really high compression.. i guess.

let me know