K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

blown head gasket or not?

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2010, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown head gasket or not?

the other day i was running my blazer down the freeway and it started to get a little hot, when i pulled off it was idlling funny and making a different idle sound. i have since lost significant power and im smoking a little. i checked under the hood and on the passenger side by the #7 plug it is seeping smoke out of the exhaust manifold? what could this be?
Old February 28th, 2010, 4:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like it. what's the oil and coolant look like? brown coolant, or milky, cloudy oil is good indication.
Old March 1st, 2010, 2:26 AM
CF Beginner

ya the coolant is brown, i just changed the oil pan gasket and havent really ran it. got in it when i was done fired her up,tried to open her up a little but didnt have any real power. so i parked it. opened up the valve cover passenger side and found a broken rocker arm.. how could that have happen? when i replace it, should i replace all of the rocker arms? rods too? how hard is this task, and what about the adjustment of the valves?
Old March 1st, 2010, 2:32 AM
CF Beginner

i drained a little of my oil, no coolant that i could see. but the oil is already BLACK and i only ran the engine for about 20 minutes, can i flush the oil system with something to get all of the impurities out of it? my dad has a 69' blazer thats a street rod with a 350 in it also, he is using a full synthetic oil thats 20/50. isnt that too thick? he told me to use the same and i did, i hope this doesnt screw things up with my motor. will it??
Old July 4th, 2010, 2:25 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow lots of questions, but i have some answers, replace just the 1 rocker (the others still work) the smoke coming out of #7 cyl could be cuz the broken rocker arm punched the valve cover, as for the oil, put an oil cleaner (or type f trans fluid) and run the truck at idle for 10 min then change the oil, u just have a lot of gunk in the engine (could have contributed to the broken rocker) it could have gotten hot from a stuck thermostat, and the best way to check for a blown head gasket besides the color of the fluid is a compression test (i had a blown head gasket and when i pulled the plug a bunch of antifreeze pissed out )
best of luck, if you ar going to learn to wrench on cars, a chevy is the best start