Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

07 malibu maxx trans issue

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2012, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 malibu maxx trans issue

Hey yall im having a issue with my 07 malibu maxx lt trans. Every once in a while the traction control light will come on and then the trans shifts hard. Does anyone know what this is.

Thank you
Old April 26th, 2012, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a problem between the ECM and TCM or the TCM has detected a fault in the transaxle. The harsh shifts are from the TCM commanding the maximum line pressure. Chances are, you'll need to get it serviced. Not all code readers and scanners can read the TCM.
Old April 27th, 2012, 5:00 AM
CF Beginner

Why would the traction control turn off when this ocurrs. And i have taken it to the dealerships a few times before after my obd2 didnt pick up anything and thay said that there was not a code and they drove the car but couldnt recreate the issue.

Thank you
Mike
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> malibumike,

It can be difficult to diagnose a problem if it cannot be duplicated. Is there any regularity to it?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 27th, 2012, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

No its very intermittent
Old April 28th, 2012, 7:19 AM
CF Veteran

The TC is disabled since it isn't possible when there's a problem with torque management of which the transmission is a major component. Consider a visit to the service department. They may be able to diagnose the problem from the scan of trouble history or visual inspection if the malfunction event is recent enough.

P.S. I see you did take it to the dealership (I was in a hurry earlier). Next time, take it in when it's in a problem state and don't turn it off until someone takes an initial look-see. Also, I think you need to find a new service department. Sadly some shops will just send you away if there isn't "easy" money to be made. The fact of life is, say, it may take them all day to find the problem but there's no way they can charge actual hours worked when the customer balks.

Last edited by EinST; April 28th, 2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old April 29th, 2012, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

I would rather do it myself as i have the place and tools to do it.
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

What "it" is is the problem. You probably need to invest in a professional level scan tool and a set of factory service manuals, too.
Old May 1st, 2012, 8:55 PM
CF Veteran

theres a couple TSBs for shifting problems but without codes or being able to touch it you'd be gambling