Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

'09 Malibu Tire Pressure Warning

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Malibu Tire Pressure Warning

Tire pressure warning light stays on. DIC shows LF at 24 psi, tho the actual pressure is 32 psi.

Last week my wife had air added; I checked and it was around 40 psi at each wheel! I lowered the pressure on all four. Now, about 2 weeks later the LR sensor seems to be acting up.

Is it most likely I need a new sensor...or can I try the Sensor Matching Process? If I "decrease pressure for about eight seconds", I'd then have to go back to the station for air; a little bit of a PITA...therefore is it worth trying? Or go ahead and have the sensor replaced?
Thx!
Old February 16th, 2012, 5:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jborodawg,

Have you replaced or rotated the tires recently? The sensors may need to be re-matched. It is also possible a sensor needs to be replaced. These are just suggestions, it is not a diagnosis.

I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician. They will be able to offer a diagnosis after a physical inspection.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 16th, 2012, 5:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

good that you checked all the tire pressures. If the tires were rotated and not registered to the new location; the LF sensor/tire may be at another tire location.

make sure your tire pressure guage is accurate. Last week i had a customer come in and all tires were set low and tpm light was on. Turns out his $2 guage was 8psi off.

If they are all at correct pressure and one is reading low it probably needs a new tpm sensor.
Old February 17th, 2012, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

No rotation, that's why I didn't mention it; only that my wife added air at all four wheels using a $1.00 machine. She over-inflated up to about 40 psi per wheel.

My check was done at a gas station using their ($10?) gauge. We double checked each wheel; gauge and DIC matched except for LF. Gas station owner said I need a new sensor. I was getting a second opinion here. The sensors are pretty expensive; to buy and then install.

So, is it a waste of time 'matching'? Or, time for a new sensor? Also, I wondered if over-inflating could have caused an error that could be overcome with matching? Did it also damage the sensor? Or...sensor just happened to fail?

Thx!
Old February 17th, 2012, 5:11 PM
Super Moderator

what is a matching process? Do you mean registering the tpm?
overinflation to 40psi will not damage a tpm.

Is the tire monitor warning light on steady or flashing?

Last edited by tech2; February 17th, 2012 at 5:16 PM.
Old February 18th, 2012, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

The owners manual calls it 'TPMS Sensor Matching Process'. The 'tire icon' stays lit on the dash; and the DIC constantly reads, 'check tire pressure'.
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

what is the manual refering to reguarding the tire matching process? Buying the correct tires? Registering the tpm?

If the tire pressure light flashes then stays on steady there is a system malfunction. Where the light comes on and stays on steady its a low pressure problem.

Has any tire sealant been put into the tires?

Last edited by tech2; February 18th, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old February 19th, 2012, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

Page 5-61..."Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code.
Any time you replace one or more of the TPMS senors or
rotate the vehicle's tires, the identification codes need to be matched to the new tire/wheel location.....they are matched in
the following order: driver side front tire...can be matched...
using a TPMS diagnostic tool...or by increasing or decreasing
the tire's air pressure....You have two minutes to match each
tire and wheel..."

In my case, "The 'tire icon' stays lit on the dash; and the DIC constantly reads, 'check tire pressure'."

No, haven't used any sealant.
Thx!
Old February 19th, 2012, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

"...overinflation to 40psi will not damage a tpm..."

Ok, I think I can surmise that I need a new sensor. True?
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

there's a good chance you need a new sensor, if you can find a way to get ahold of a TPM sensor activation tool it would give you a definate answer

Quick Reply: '09 Malibu Tire Pressure Warning