Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

1997 Malibu no start after working on it

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2019, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Malibu no start after working on it

Hello everyone,

I bought a 1997 Malibu 3.1L automatic from Copart a month ago with 38,000 miles. It ran great but needed some work done to it. It was leaking oil and coolant so I did the lower and upper intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, throttle body gasket, timing cover gasket, harmonic balancer seal, water pump gasket, heater hose connector to the thermostat housing and thermostat. After all that work it will not start. There is pressure at the fuel rail, I can smell fuel fumes in the exhaust. Its cranking over at ~200RPM and will not start. The cam sensor tested out good, same with the sensor behind the harmonic balancer. The crank position sensor on the block wasn't giving a good reading so I replaced that and the harness to it. I have replaced the spark plugs and wires also. All gaskets are Felpro and all electrical is AC Delco. I have checked all fuses and they are good, there is 1/4 tank of gas. I have swapped the IDM under the coils to my running 2003 Malibu and it works fine. There is currently no coolant in the car and the front is up on jack stands. Also I only have a generic GM key for it. When you put the key into the ignition, it has to be at a certain depth for the key to turn. To far in, it won't turn, to far out, same thing.

Last edited by Black88E30; May 2nd, 2019 at 4:11 PM. Reason: Remembering more details
Old May 2nd, 2019, 4:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Did it start with the generic key before the work was done? Is the check engine light on and if so what are the codes?
Old May 2nd, 2019, 4:57 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

is it getting spark?
Old May 2nd, 2019, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Did it start with the generic key before the work was done? Is the check engine light on and if so what are the codes?
Yes, it worked with the generic key before. There are no codes.

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
is it getting spark?
Nice blue spark, can jump at least 1/4" gap.

Last edited by Black88E30; May 2nd, 2019 at 5:10 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

I checked all fuses again, all are good, all are the correct size also. When I go into the PCM(?) it shows VIN: N/A, but on my 2003 it shows my vin number, dont know if that means anything.

Since the ignition switch is screwy, could that be causing the problem?

Screwy: When you put the key into the ignition, it has to be at a certain depth for the key to turn. To far in, it won't turn, to far out, same thing.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 9:56 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

are you sure the injectors are firing? i mean it would make sense since you can smell fuel out the exhaust but if you have spark you need fuel and compression. then you have the timing of everything
Old June 17th, 2019, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

I have been messing with it when I have spare time. Still wont run, but did a little today. I hooked the battery up and jumped in and turned the key, to my surprise it started for maybe a second then stalled. I restarted it and when it started I hit the gas and it revved up to 3,000 RPM. As long as I keep it above 3000 RPM, it stays running. As soon as it drops below 3000 RPM it tries to stall but you can save it with some fast foot work. But if it stalls it wont restart for a while. I would hate to scrap a 36,000 mile car because I'm over looking something.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default High RPM crank

If I understood you correctly, the engine cranks faster than normal. This is usually due to low compression. But first, ensure that the plug wires are connected properly (odd numbered cylinders are near the firewall, with number one located under the alternator). If that's good, then the fix may not be as simple. Our engines have different length pushrods for intake (5.75 in.) and exhaust (6.00 in.). If they're swapped, the intake valves will be bent, and all of the symptoms you described will be the result.

Last edited by Good4JG; December 3rd, 2019 at 8:45 PM. Reason: More info
Old December 6th, 2019, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

It cranks at the correct RPM, I compared it to my running malibu. I didnt switch up the pushrods, as I pulled them out, I put them pushed into a shallow box that was labeled and they could not fall out or move around. The plug wires are in the correct order, have checked so many times and have had other people check.

Messed with it again and here is what's new:

I have 45 psi of fuel pressure to the rail.
All 6 injectors OHMd out to be good
The IAT plug needs replaced, only reads when you push in on the wires otherwise it reads -40*F
Took off the timing cover and it is perfectly timed, almost no slack in the chain.
Replaced the sensor on the back of the block that looks at the crank and its harness up to the coils, replaced the cam sensor thats next to the power steering pump.
The TPS reads correct as you push on it.
Checked the wires to the maf. Has good ground, 12v hot and a good signal.
Im keeping the battery fully charged when Im doing all this.

With all of this when I try to start it, all it does is backfire randomly through the intake.
Old December 8th, 2019, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default Valve timing?

If your timing marks are aligned correctly with #1 at TDC, then the only reasonable conclusion I can draw is a broken camshaft. I know it sounds crazy with such a low mileage, and I think I'd be just as baffled if I was in your shoes because it appears as if you've covered all the bases. As I'm sure you're aware, all rocker arms should move at some point as you turn the crankshaft through 360 of motion. I saw a broken camshaft from a '95 Monte Carlo several years ago, and it was hollow. I have 235000 miles on my '01, and 191000 miles on a '00 I recently bought, but haven't personally had a problem like that yet.

Last edited by Good4JG; December 8th, 2019 at 5:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 1997 Malibu no start after working on it