Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

1997 Malibu no start after working on it

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2019, 6:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Black88E30
It cranks at the correct RPM, I compared it to my running malibu. I didnt switch up the pushrods, as I pulled them out, I put them pushed into a shallow box that was labeled and they could not fall out or move around. The plug wires are in the correct order, have checked so many times and have had other people check.

Messed with it again and here is what's new:

I have 45 psi of fuel pressure to the rail.
All 6 injectors OHMd out to be good
The IAT plug needs replaced, only reads when you push in on the wires otherwise it reads -40*F
Took off the timing cover and it is perfectly timed, almost no slack in the chain.
Replaced the sensor on the back of the block that looks at the crank and its harness up to the coils, replaced the cam sensor thats next to the power steering pump.
The TPS reads correct as you push on it.
Checked the wires to the maf. Has good ground, 12v hot and a good signal.
Im keeping the battery fully charged when Im doing all this.

With all of this when I try to start it, all it does is backfire randomly through the intake.
Well, it's not a broken cam shaft, you need to re look at the plug wires, in my opinion.
Old December 8th, 2019, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I mentioned the camshaft, I don't think it's the most likely cause (especially with only 38000 miles) - just that if everything checks out good, then not much is left. That being said, I agree with you, but I would definitely look to ensure that the entire valvetrain was working as advertised.
Old December 10th, 2019, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled off the front valve cover and all rockers are moving and are still torqued. I have checked the wires and they are in, no doubt 100% correct order. I have checked them compared to the internet, my 2003 malibu and a 2000 buick century, all have the 3.1L GM engine. The harness going to the ignition board tests good also.

I have been using easyautodiagnostics.com to test harnesses and sensors to make sure they are in spec. Everything tests good and within spec. Im lost with this one. It ran when I bought the car, was just leaking oil from the lower intake gaskets and leaking coolant from there also. This is the 4th time I have done this type of work on one of these engines and for some reason this one wont start. I have started to use a Fluke wire tracer to see if any wires are broken and they all seem good, except the IAT harness, which Im replacing the pigtail.