Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

1999 Malibu shuts off after slowing down from high speed

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2008, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Malibu shuts off after slowing down from high speed

Help, my car starts out running fine at 30 mph. It runs great on the expressway, But when I leave the expressway, my car shuts down ( as if it is out of gas). When I pull over and restart the car, it will go a short distance and do it again. Today when it started to shut down, I pulled into a parking lot and while the car was in park, I could hear the fuel pump making a whining noise. I made it home but the car stalled out a few times. My mechanic replaced the fuel filter which he said was clogged 2 days ago. He test drove it and said that it was ok. Does anyone have any suggestions? My car is my only means of transportation. Would it be a good idea to take it to a Chevy dealer?
Old April 26th, 2008, 8:24 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 1999 Malibu shuts off after slowing down from high speed

Sounds like the EGR may have a lot of carbon build up in it. When your on the highway, the EGR is open allow exhaust gases to be recirculated. When you're at an idle, it should be closed.If a piece of carbon gets caught in the pintle, it won't allow to close all the way, so when you slow down it makes the car stall. If you can get it to idle while this is happening, use the handle of a screwdriver, and tap the EGR a few times to see if it clears up
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

When the car shuts down, the check engine light is not on and you can hear the fuel pump. Do you still think it might be the EGR?
Old April 26th, 2008, 8:33 PM
Banned

The EGR will usually set a code but not always. Does it run rough before it stalls? or does it just die?
Old April 29th, 2008, 6:31 AM
CF Beginner

The car runs ok then gets a slight hesistation. You have to push on the gas pedal to keep the car going. Then the car stalls. This happens even more in warm weather.
Old April 29th, 2008, 2:56 PM
Banned

Pull the EGR off and check for a carbon build-up. one way to test if it is that or not is to unplug it when the engine is running smoothly, take it on the highway, then see if it still stalls when you get off. By unplugging it, you are preventing it from opening and possibly getting a piece of carbon in there. The check engine light will be on the whole time it is unplugged, but will not harm anything.

Old May 5th, 2008, 10:52 PM
CF Pro Member

It does seem funny that it runs fine at low speeds initally which would mean the EGR would be more in play. Then it starts stalling after coming off higher speeds makes me wonder if it is the EGR and not something else like a TPS or vacuum issue.