Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 Chevy Malibu won't start

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2010, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem glad you got it back on the road.
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:09 AM
CF Junior Member

UPDATE, I was right car ran great until I drove about 15 miles, died going down the highway, sit for 15 min or so started right back up, made it to work, on way home did same thing. I think you are right, I think it is the ignition module. I found out that I can remove it and have it tested at the Parts store, before I replace it. So that is what I am going to do. Ill let you know if its the problem, but like I said I think you might be right.
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the car for any stored codes. Right now you are throwing parts at your car and that will do nothing but burn a hole in your pocket and time. No codes, then I'd take it to someone who can diagnose it properly. Like a dealer. Worse comes to worse; if they are wrong, they have to fix it and not at your expense.
Old January 26th, 2010, 1:52 PM
CF Junior Member

They tested the Ignition Control Module and said it was good. Shock! No I haven't had anyone check for any codes. There are no lights on the dash, I mean not even the check engine light is on. I am going to call a friend that has a tester and see if it will pull up any codes. Ill let you know what we find out Thanks
Old January 31st, 2010, 4:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Update

Ok, Friend came over and checked the codes, and it threw a code for a misfire on coil pk one. I had already changed out one coil pk, but I went ahead and changed the other two also just to make sure I had gotten the right one. (Cost 23.99 each) Car runs great. I drove it all the way to work and back with out it even hesitating. So I am hoping that this has fixed my problem. So far So good. Thanks for the Help!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 8:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It won't tell you what coil it is. It will tell you what cylinder it is on. So chances are, it was telling you misfire on cylinder 1, not coil 1.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 1:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Update

This did not fix the problem, it only gave me the illusion that it was fixed. But it is right back to doing the same thing again. I replaced the Ignition Control Module twice thinking I had gotten a bad part, still doing the same thing. I thought that the temp out side had something to do with it, but it doesn't. I can watch the temp gauge and when it gets almost up to the halfway mark the car dies. So when the car is reaching a certain temp. it is shutting down. Thats why I was so sure it was the $90.00 part ICM. But that is not it, so now I am leaning to the more simpler thing, The Thermostat, radiator cap, or water pump. I am going to change all three of these and see if that isn't what is causing the car to stall at a certain temp. I'll let you know if this fixes the problem or not. No warning lights are on at all, no check engine, or anything.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 1:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Misfire on cylinder one, so my friend told me wrong, so the coil packs were probably still good, and that is why the problem was not fixed. Thank you for pointing that out to me.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Hit the junkyard and get some spare parts or maybe get a replacement with this 2000 Mali - you might be able to get it cheap.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 9:36 AM
CF Junior Member

I realized that the radiator fan was not coming on when it should, and the ac fan was running all the time. The previous owner had a hot wire running into the fuse box, keeping the ac fan running all the time, but also had the wire for the radiator fan running in it also. So I got rid of that, changed the relays and the fans work fine, but did not resolve the problem. I took the car out on a highway that had hills, and about the 3 hill upward the car started to loose power and by the time I got to the top the car stalled. Sit for 10 min, started back up and continued driving. Its a repeat, regardless of flat highway driving or hills, I think the hills putting the strain on the motor would stall out the car more quickly. The car just don't seem to have the power that it used to. It don't sputter, or jerk, it just dies. I can hear the new fuel pump working, there is fuel pressure on the rail. I am changing the crankshaft positioning sensor and replacing the fuel pump relay and Ill see if that don't take care of it. The Check Engine light is not on, but if the car is in park and you hit the brake 3 or four times it kills the motor? I had notice, not all the time but sometimes when applying the break the dash lights will dim slightly. It probably does it during the day, I just can't tell. Any Ideas?

Quick Reply: 2000 Chevy Malibu won't start