Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 Chevy Malibu won't start

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2010, 6:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2000 Chevy Malibu won't start

I cant hear the Fuel Pump kick on, so I am pretty sure it the Fuel Pump. After beating on the Fuel Tank I did finally get it start and drove about 13 miles then it died. Several hours later I did it again and made it about 1/2 mile and it died. What I am wondering is does anyone know if for sure this is how the Fuel Pumps go out. The first time the car ran great, the second time, I had to continue to push repeatedly on the throttle and finally got up to 70 miles per hour, and then started to loose power again looked down and battery light was on, and then all the lights and the car died, and couldn't get it to start again. I have had Fuel Pumps go out before on other cars, But they just acted like I ran out of gas and wouldn't start again. But this one at times almost turns over, that is why I am wondering, if this is really the problem or if it could possibly be something else?
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:30 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me.
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes, I think so too, I just needed someone else to verify for me before I spend all that time and money. I was jacking up the car yesterday to place the jack stands under it and I got my right middle finger stuck in between that metal slide piece in the center and the jack stand and broke my finger. Who would have thought that a finger would even fit in there? Well they will even if they have to brake to do it, so just a friendly precautionary to everyone else, the Jack stand will get you. So well needless to say I decided maybe that was a bad time to remove the old pump. I think this time I might take out the back seat and not mess will the jackstand. Thanks Again for your help!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 2:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Ouch

Man sorry to hear about the jackstand getting you that must have hurt a ton. Some of them can get you pretty bad especially the ones that don't have the stops for the head when it comes down. Well good luck with changing it out hope all else works well for you.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 9:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok, Got the new fuel pump installed, car started right up. Got in it to go to work and I thought it missed going out of the drive way. Ran good 20 miles to work, ran good 18 1/2 miles home. Going down the highway 70, 60 50 dies, sit for 10 min or so, take out key put key in starts right up. Go 1 1/2 miles ( the car is cutting out, and its like I am pushing the gas but its not gaining any speed, then all at once it does then it dies, again. Sit for 10 minutes or so and it starts right back up. Now while I am sitting I have it turned to the acc. the only light on the dash is the theft one but it is not blinking it is a solid light. Any Ideas at all? It is doing the same thing that it did before I replaced the Fuel Pump.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 9:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok, when you turn the key to the acc the only light that is on is the theft system, turn the key to on, every light on the dash is on, and I can hear the fuel pump kick on, car starts no indicator lights on at all?
Was reading some of the other forms on here, and someone said that would be driving along and car just die, sit, car start go about mile, dies,,,,,,,,sounds like what mine is doing, they said after replacing several things, found out it was the Crank Sensor, and the Camshaft Position Sensor. Does that sound like it would solve the problem I am having?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 5:56 AM
CF Beginner

It could be the igniton module it sets under the igniton coils. When they go bad they act like that. They heat up and shut off and then when they cool back down they allow the car to start again. Then when they heat up again which usually isn't long right back off Sorry the fuel pump did not fix it sounded like that was the problem when you described it the first time. Also do you notice any smoke like alot of black smoke on start up. If so check the fuel pressure regulator. It is on the front of the engine by the upper intake attached to the fuel rail. Pull the vaccum line off and if gas drips out of the line the regulator is bad allowing to much gas to the engine. If that is the case it is also allowing it into the crankcase of the car and the gas will eat up the bearings so changing it soon is a good idea along with chnging the oil to get the gas from the crankcase. Hope this helps some.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 3:33 PM
CF Junior Member

You were right it was the fuel pump, because the first pump was not turning on at all. So apparently I had two problems and wasn't aware of the second until replacing the fuel pump. There was no black smoke at all coming from anywhere. After checking out under the hood, come to find out there were two nuts missing off the back of one of the ignition coils, leaving the coil really loose and moving around. Now I am wondering if this is what is causing the problem. I am going to replace it with a new one, change the oil, spark plugs, wires, oil filter and see if that makes a difference, If not I will move on to the sensors. I really appreciate your input and help. Thanks
Old January 23rd, 2010, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

No problem, happy to help keep us posted and let us know if everything works out for you.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Ok, One of the pins on one of the Ignition Coils was discolored as if it were burnt so that was the one I replaced and tightened down the loose one I had found ealiler,, Changed the oil, filter, sparkplugs, and wires. Car started right up, let it warm up for 10 min or so, and took it out for a drive, The car DID NOT miss one time, the car ran great. Came home turned it off, put key back in started right up and took it for another drive, I ran it pretty hard this time, didn't miss a lick. Runs really good, I guess the real test will be when I leave in the morning at 3:00 a.m. for work and drive 20 miles, but I am expecting it to run great. So the problem was the fuel pump that was keeping it from starting and it was one of the Ignition Coils that was making it run rough, loose power and die. If something should happen and the car acts up tonight I will update in the morning other wise, thank you for all of your help.

Quick Reply: 2000 Chevy Malibu won't start