Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 malibu V6 thermostat

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2008, 6:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 malibu V6 thermostat

Last year I passed along my 2000 malibu to my parents and they had the oil changed and there was antifreeze in the oil. The shop had them bring the car back for further inspection when they werent soo busy. Upon inspection the shop said the head gasket was leaking antifreeez into the engine block and needed to be repaired. They paid the shop $700.00 and now the car is running at a higher temp and usual. I informed my parents that the shop must have install a different temp rated thermostat and that it needed to be taken back and have them to install the same temp rated thermostat that was originally in the engine...Can someone please elaborate on this with the correct temp rating for the thermostat for a V6 2000 chevy Malibu automatic with a/c ... Thanks so much
Old January 30th, 2008, 6:13 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 2000 malibu V6 thermostat

this is taken right from GM's service information:

A 91°C (195°F) thermostat is used on engines where the thermostat is located in the engine coolant outlet. On engines where the thermostat is located in the engine coolant inlet a 82°C (180°F) thermostat is used. Using thermostats rated above these control temperatures is not recommended. Higher temperature thermostats will not provide faster warm-up, since their valves remain tightly closed until the control temperature is reached, as does a lower temperature thermostat. The thermostat must be installed with the pointed end facing toward the radiator. Incorrect installation of the thermostat may cause the engine to overheat.