Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2001 Malibu mode selection, fan problems

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2010, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2001 Malibu mode selection, fan problems

This car only had high speed on the fan motor and was also stuck in the defrost mode. Read all the posts relating to these problem and was able to repair both. The fan control issue was a bad resistor pack. $26 bucks at my local parts store and some serious grumbling about the heat and humidity, throw in an hours worth of labor and it now has all five speeds. Removing the right side under dash panel (two screws) showed the fan motor with the resister module right in back of it. Its a real pain in the butt to get the rear screw out, Plan on having a 1/4 ratchet, extension and swivel to get that one out and back in. I finally figured out that I should have the car running with the air on to help take care of the heat,

The second issue was that the air was stuck in defrost mode. Several posts made mention of a bad vacuum hose from the engine....... Hummmm, where do I start? Popped the hood and looked around but didn't see anything amiss so I decided to let it slide and try to get more info. It is my sisters car and she was already happy so why push it. We went out to breakfast this morning and I noticed that her left front driving headlight was out... quick stop at my parts store for a bulb and five minutes later the light worked.....

Oh Yea..... while changing the bulb I set the old one down on the engine block and my hand rested on a broken vacuum hose coming out of the throttle body. Back inside of the store for a one inch piece of vacuum line, splice the broken one............. Mode selector switch now works as it should. The hose was a white color, plugs into the throttle body and then enter a wire loom about a foot away. Don't know why I didn't see it the first time around. Any ways, My sister is now really happy. Great way to start the day.

Thanks to everyone here in this forum.