Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2002 Malibu Coolant leak Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2020, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Malibu Coolant leak Electrical issues

I am replacing Intake manifold gaskets next weekend. I am having some electrical issues. Starter solenoid sometimes wont engage, Torque Converter Solenoid stuck off, Headlights occasionally flicker. I'm thinking it could be all due to the coolant leak. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old December 7th, 2020, 8:13 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

There could be more than one problem. When we get a series of unrelated problems as seems to appear here, usually there is a ground problem within the electrical system.
Removing and cleaning then reinstall ground wires/connections might get rid of the problem.
One thing to keep in mind, if you remove the ground cable from the battery to the engine compartment , you will lose programmed radio stations and some of the memory in the vehicle PCM. The vehicle will need to be driven thru a normal "Drive cycle" to relearn your driving habits. If you choose to remove that cable clean the connection and reconnect it , when you start the engine , just don't touch the throttle pedal and allow the PCM to adjust to the correct idle speed.
There are several grounds to check and clean.
The following 2 users liked this post by hanky:
Gene Weibl (December 7th, 2020), MIKEY BARAN (February 4th, 2021)
Old December 8th, 2020, 9:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Weibl
I am replacing Intake manifold gaskets next weekend. I am having some electrical issues. Starter solenoid sometimes wont engage, Torque Converter Solenoid stuck off, Headlights occasionally flicker. I'm thinking it could be all due to the coolant leak. Anyone else have a similar experience?
What motor are we speaking of here? Where was the coolant leak?
Old February 2nd, 2021, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default O8 leaks and electrical

Yes Sir...When I Overheated, Coolant Decided It Would Ruin Some Sensor Connectors..For Example....COOLANT TEMP SENSOR...The Connector Got Soaked So It Was Reading Nothing...Cut One From The Junk Yard..Attached Yellow And Brown Wires...Good As New...ELECTRICITY/DC VOLTAGE DOES NOT LIKE MOISTURE..
Old February 2nd, 2021, 7:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKEY BARAN
Yes Sir...When I Overheated, Coolant Decided It Would Ruin Some Sensor Connectors..For Example....COOLANT TEMP SENSOR...The Connector Got Soaked So It Was Reading Nothing...Cut One From The Junk Yard..Attached Yellow And Brown Wires...Good As New...ELECTRICITY/DC VOLTAGE DOES NOT LIKE MOISTURE..
Its why I use diaelctrical grease on the plugs and contacts. Keeps the moisture out, and corrosion too. And it is cheap as heck too.
The following users liked this post:
MIKEY BARAN (February 3rd, 2021)
Old February 4th, 2021, 5:24 AM
CF Beginner

Well For Some Odd Reason My New Coolant Temp Sensor Was Going Back To Cold After 15 MinutesOf Driving..No Overheating, No Air Pockets. Stat Is New Too..I Did Replace The Connector, Thinking That Was The Issue...So I Guess Today, Resetting And Inspectimg PCM..And Checking All The Grounds And 5v Sensors..After Getting A Code Scan ..