Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2002 malibu starting problems , first chevy

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2010, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 malibu starting problems , first chevy

Ok, basically this is the first chevy I have owned in years, besides a great suburban in the 80's . Anyway I just got a 2002 malibu. It has full dealer records since it was purchased new in 2002. Good condition etc. Anyway Had it for a few days and then one day it did not start . So read through many posts , and as far as I can tell it is the GM passlock problem. because if i wait 10 mins with the key on , but don't start it . etc. It starts right up and runs perfect. So Do I Just replace the ignition lock cylinder , I was looking at an ACdelco Brand New OE Ignition Lock Cylinder Repair Kit Fits 1997-2003 Chevy Malibu, OE Factory GM Part, Part #: 25832354.

will this fix the problem ? , and if I do it myself do i still have to bring it to the dealer to get the passlock system reset for the new lock . Will it start after I put this part in ?
or
is it easier and cheaper to get a remote starter . or to just bring it to the dealer .

thanks,
Old February 13th, 2010, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Went online to check the part number and it may be part 15822350
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Or you can take it to a local alarm/remote start shop, and have them put the correct resistance in line with the ignition, and bypass your Passlock system totally. Problem solved, and they probably won't charge you more that $40-50.
Old April 21st, 2010, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Can you identify the wires from the ignition switch if so I can connect my Omega bypass and give you a report. Which is ignition? Which is starter? Does the 2002 Impala have a "key sense" wire and if so which is it?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 8:18 PM
CF Beginner

Update. The tech support at SonixElectronics does not have a clue how to wire up the module they sell. IB-PLJX they advertise to learn and solve all passlock problems. I was referred to Omega the orginal manufacturer. Their tech responded that I did not need the "sense" wire and should only connect the starter and ignition wire but he did not give me the chevy color codes. I questioned him further and explained that I wanted it to function as a bypass of the passlock system. He replied that this was only for remote start and could not be used as a bypass. Oh good grief. My car is sitting with the instrument cluster out and all the lower panels and ignition out. I am about ready to put it back together and take it to the dealer. The few garages around here don't seem to even know what I am asking about. Marion, AR
Old August 10th, 2010, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

At first, I had a different problem: the key would not turn . I replaced the lock cylinder and switch with a used one for $35. Then I had the passlock problem. I waited the 10 minutes and the problem was solved. however, in the meantime, I learned that if you can get the car started, you can disable the passlock by cutting the little yellow wire that connects to the side of the lock WHEN THE CAR IS RUNNING!