Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2003 Mailbu - Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2008, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Mailbu - Will Not Start

I was driving from my house to a fast food place last night, waiting to turn left, and when the light turned green, the car would not move. My BIL and my wife came to attempt to jump start it, to no avail. A tow truck driver wasn't able to jump start it either. The battery was dead as I found out after taking it somewhere, so I got a new one. The car lights and sensors will come on, but will not start with the new battery. The car has about 93K miles on it. Suggestions?
Old January 2nd, 2008, 1:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 2003 Mailbu - Will Not Start

If your saying it won't crank, I'd check the starter circuit. If there is a starter relay in the power distribution center, start testing there. My information shows that is a bosch type relay, the terminals are numbered. Pull out the relay, use a fused jumper between terminal 30 and 87, the starter should crank. Make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set. It wouldn't hurt to have somebody setting in there with their foot on the brake. If you crank the starter and the vehicle is in gear, it will move, not a good idea.

Did you clean the battery cables on both ends? There should be a theft system on this vehicle, is the lite flashing? I thought passlock just disabled the injectors, not the starter circuit. I don't have that info in front of me.
Old January 6th, 2008, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2003 Mailbu - Will Not Start

I don't understand you mean by cleaning the battery cables.

I have tried unlocking and locking the car many times, and that didn't seem to work.