Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2004 Chevy Maxx V6 Oil Capacity????

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2008, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Chevy Maxx V6 Oil Capacity????

Irecently purchased a2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx LT V6 3.5L a few months ago. Itis in need of an oil change. The car did not come with the owner's manual. I have tried to locate the oil capacity, but I cannot find it. Could someone please let me know? I found one site on GM's website that says it is 4.5 quarts, but I purchased a Haynes Malibu Manual and it says the V6 holds 4 quarts and the 4cyl holds 5 quarts. I thought it was weird that the 4cyl holds more oil then the V6. Please let me know what the oil capacity is for the 2004 Malibu Maxx V6. I also noticed that it has a possible oil leak. Has anyone else had a problem with an oil leak on a '04 Malibu?

Also does anyone know if these cars have a fuel filter? Also has anyone figured why the car sometimes won't turn over when you go to start. It will like try to start for a few tries then just turns off. Then you try it again and same thing. Finally you have to actually hit the gas a little bit while it is trying to start to get it to fire up. It only does this to me about once a week but it is annoying. It isn't a bad battery cuz it is getting power. It also happens at all gas tank levels not just when the tank is low. I believe it has something to do with the fuel system/pump. Not quite sure though.
Old January 12th, 2008, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2004 Chevy Maxx V6 Oil Capacity????

Your 3.5 takes 5 quarts of 5W30 oil when you change the filter. The filter is an AC Delco PF47 or other manufacturers equal.
There is a fuel filter inside the fuel tank.
As for your hard starting, I would check all the engine grounds.If thats not it the next best thing to do would be to have someone pull the trouble codes and go from there
Old February 4th, 2008, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same question. My manual says with a filter, to use 5 quarts. I did that and the oil level is up over the crosshairs about a 1/2 inch. Am I in trouble here? Do I need todrain out the excess. Why is my manual wrong?
Old February 5th, 2008, 3:13 PM
CF Active Member

4.5 qts should be just perfect for ur car.. it wont really hurt anything to be a half qt over.. on ur next oil change just put 4.5 qts.