Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 TAHOE Z71 ENGINE OIL CAPACITY

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2008, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 TAHOE Z71 ENGINE OIL CAPACITY

I have had trouble getting a decent answer as to why my 5.3L V8 Tahoe will not take 6 quarts of oil as the manual says. Has anyone else had this question or problem?? When I change the oil, I always drain the oil first, then with the drain plug still out, I remove the filter and let the residual oil drain thoroughly before replacing both new filter and plug. However, 6 quarts always seems to be too much - the dipstick shows a level about one dipstick hole higher than it should (the dipstick has four holes to indicate one quart I believe). The manual says not to overfill with oil or some engine damage might (emphasize might) occur. Is this really a problem or am I concerned about nothing? Hope someone has had the same observation and can explain. Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2008, 5:18 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 2004 TAHOE Z71 ENGINE OIL CAPACITY

Do you check the oil before or after you've started the engine?

I would not hold the capacity mentioned in the manual as exact. The last 1/3 to 1/2 quart of oil should beadded graduallyuntil thedip stick indicates the appropriate level.
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: 2004 TAHOE Z71 ENGINE OIL CAPACITY

I think mary900's advice is the best, but I also think if you put the full 6 in I don't belive you will have any issues. over filling is putting in more then 6 quarts or adding oil when the engin is notcooledoff someand the oil has not had time to drain back into the pan to give a correct reading on the dip stick.
Old October 22nd, 2020, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

My Tahoe has 250,000 and I have never seen anyone as hard on the motor and driveline in my life I’ve put 160,000 of those like on it use full synthetic 5w30 Quaker state magnetix oil and a Mobil filter since the day I bought it normal oil change process as you explained I don’t even check it anymore dump six quarts in and close the hood check it in a few days if u want I used to but if it don’t leak or smoke shouldn’t ever have an issue (btw my computer has been reprogrammed for the shift point to be 7,500 with rev limiter set at 7,800rpm and it is always in the deep mud never have had any engine issues)
Old October 22nd, 2020, 12:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Depending on the miles on the engine and the type of oil that you use and the intervals between oil changes, you may have some debris build up at the top of the cylinder heads that are partially restricting the flow of oil back to the oil pan. I would just put 6 quarts in and call it good. Have you owned the rig since it was new? Are you sure the oil dipstick is the correct one for that motor? If you want to try and clean up the inside of the engine a bit, you can use 3-4 ounces of Seafoam in the oil and run it for 500 miles and then change the oil again. Read the directions on the can. I am not a fan of Seafoam or other additives in the oil to attempt the engine cleaning, so I use full synthetic oil and a quality filter like an AC Delco or a premium WIX filter. You can also use a longer filter than stock that will also take up some of that oil level that you are worried about.