Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2007, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

Anyone can tell be a few quick steps in draining my oil for an oil & filter change? I know it's not rocket science but I'm new to my 07 Tahoe...Thanks!

Old April 11th, 2007, 8:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Oil Change

Place at least an 8 quart capacity drain pan underneath a warm engine use a filter wrench and remove the oil filter first suing a 13mm on 07's (15mm on older Tahoe's) wrench to remove the drain plug, wipe the magnetic tip of the drain plug clean with a lint-free cloth or and allow the oil to drain on level surface until there is at least 10 seconds between drips.

Wet the rubber seal ring on the new filter (AC Delco PF-48 for 07 model) with fresh oil and hand tighten as good as you can get it. replace drain plug and pour 5.5 quarts of oil in, wait at least one minute and check level, add oil until you get to top of marks on dip stick.

Hint: I fill the new filter up with fresh motor oil before I screw it into position, this shortens the amount of time it takes for the oil to reach the top end of the engine and helps to reduce wear on that first dry start.

Dispose of the used motor oil properly, auto parts stores normally accept it free of charge, do not put it out with your garbage.
Old April 12th, 2007, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Just curious, but why a warm engine? Ive always drained my oil after its sat overnight. That way I dont get any drips from the filter when I remove it, its all drained back into the pan. And do you have any reason for your sequence or is it just personal preference? Ive always drained the pan first, replugged, then move the drain catcher under the filter.
Old April 12th, 2007, 2:27 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason(s) it is best to change the oil while it is warm after running the engine is that the oil is thinner and drains out faster and more contaminants are suspended in the oil and thus don't remain collected in the bottom of the oil pan.

But it’s not imperative that you follow my procedure, just so long as you change your oil often and use good quality products when doing so.
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM
CF Junior Member

ZX's procedure is dead on, but be careful, I always burn my forearms on the exhaust!! [/align][/align]Also, the Incredible Hulk put my factory oil filter on, so it took some work to get it off. My strap wrench wouldn't do it, so I poked a hole in the bottom to drain the oil, then I hammered a screwdriver in the side of the filter, and used it to loosen it.[/align]
Old April 13th, 2007, 7:07 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Strongly recommend getting the newer filter wrenches that fit a specific size filter and have a 1/4" drive for socket wrench. The problem with the "hammered a screwdriver in the side of the filter" technique is thatif the filter still refuses to come off, you have to resort ripping the filter apart because by that time you've just about destroyed the can. Not a pretty sight.