Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

First oil change in 7 years / Oil analysts by Blackstone

Old August 7th, 2014, 1:17 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default First oil change in 7 years / Oil analysts by Blackstone

Haha! its the first oil change I have performed on my truck in 7 years, I usually have the dealership do them, but since they have repeatedly annoyed me with inconsistent quality:
1. maybe they will, maybe they won't remember to lube the suspension points even though you asked and paid and specifically pointed out for oil change and "lube" yep the last 3 times I had to point it out the still dirty un-lubed zerk fittings..
2. The knuckle dragger doing the oil changes is typically 200+ lbs over-weight and feels the need move the seat way out of a position I could ever work with, and it will take me days to get back to what I like for a seated position..
3. Said knuckle dragger has no idea what "clean hands" prior to grabbing inside door handle or steering wheel means..or that you should check those points prior to giving the vehicle back to the paying customer..
4. If you dent the F out of the hood, say something and take ownership of it, I will gladly continue to bring you my business and point others to you, if you display good ethics, accidents happen..
^ GM, this is why people don't trust dealerships...

Yeah, now I remember why I pay them $80 for an oil change... its the mess and the old oil I despise... 6 qts of oil is a LOT of oil, and yep that oil still runs down the old filter, your hand and arm and to the driveway when your taking it off....

I also rotated my tires and the re-learn process went without a hitch, I did come up with a device to quickly lower the air pressure to get the learn process done.
I used a air chuck with just a threaded piece in it to make it easier to hold on to..
And of course the ole use the first bottle of oil as a funnel by cutting out the bottom so you don't have the clean out the funnel that has been hanging on the peg board for years and is full of dirt and saw dust...

I fortunately had a helper to get the job done..
Attached Thumbnails First oil change in 7 years / Oil analysts by Blackstone-20140807_100352.jpg   First oil change in 7 years / Oil analysts by Blackstone-20140807_114604.jpg   First oil change in 7 years / Oil analysts by Blackstone-helper-.jpg  

Last edited by in2pro; February 20th, 2015 at 6:36 PM. Reason: edited title
Old August 7th, 2014, 1:26 PM
Administrator

For tire rotation, I checked Bridgestone's site and they recommend the rears straight to the front, and criss-cross the fronts to the rear...
Old August 7th, 2014, 4:47 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I bring my truck to Valvoline with my own oil and filter. They charge me 10 bucks, but I think that's because they like my truck. I get out and watch them do everything, including lubrication of the chassis. 10 minutes, in and out, and I don't even have to change clothes, wash my hands, risk oil spilling on my floor/driveway, and no disposal headaches.

Much easier.
Old August 7th, 2014, 4:59 PM
Administrator

That's not a bad deal at all....There is a local garage down the road, I may ask them what they would charge if I provided the materials, as I understand it shops make money off the recycled oil...
I really liked using the dealer as they would have all my records in the event of a warranty claim... but the quality level has just gotten too poor, the oil and tire rotation people at dealerships are NOT certified techs they are the same joe's that lucky lubes hire off the streets (so I have been told)
Old August 7th, 2014, 8:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

I don't like anyone but me working on my car. Whatcha gonna do with the $60 you saved?

I wouldn't ever worry about registering the tpm. When the light comes on, I just check every tire until i find the low pressure.

great helper btw.
Old August 7th, 2014, 9:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tech2
I don't like anyone but me working on my car. Whatcha gonna do with the $60 you saved?

I wouldn't ever worry about registering the tpm. When the light comes on, I just check every tire until i find the low pressure.

great helper btw.

Thanks!
The TPMS relearn went fine no problems, the key seems to be letting out a volume of air, I had to let out about 12 pounds each tire for the horn to chirp...
My savings was only about $40... $37 for a case of Mobile 1 from Sam's club and $6 for the PF48E filter...
So I spent 25 of that $40 savings sending a sample of my oil to Blackstone Labs for an analysis... I had never done one before and since I am about to roll over 100k I thought what the heck...
I'll post my results when they come back...
Old August 7th, 2014, 9:44 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

My dealer charges me $13 and I furnish the Mobil 1 and AC filter. And they do lube the two outer tie rod ends.

I do change the oil on my Airstream Sprinter Interstate as it takes 13 qts of Mobil 1 ESP. Lot more expensive than regular Mobil 1. Saved about $60 over what the MB dealer charged for the first one. BTW I got 18 mpg w/ that 5 ton brick going the speed limit. Better than my Tahoe. And more comfortable.
Old August 7th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Thanks!

So I spent 25 of that $40 savings sending a sample of my oil to Blackstone Labs for an analysis... I had never done one before and since I am about to roll over 100k I thought what the heck...
I'll post my results when they come back...

I've wanted to do that myself. I was wondering if there is a way of quantifying dirt in suspension of the oil and its effects on oil life.
Old August 8th, 2014, 9:45 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tpms

I also don't bother relearning the tires, if it tells me one is low, I'll find it then.

What's an oil change?

Model X | Tesla Motors

Is that like putting butter on a burn?

Or is it more like drilling a hole in someone's head to let out evil spirits?

Or it is more like modem noises? lol.

I do all my own stuff, I don't like it when random people touch my stuff...

and I agree draining oil all over your arms is no fun...

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; August 8th, 2014 at 9:50 AM.
Old August 9th, 2014, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to change my own oil but the dealership that I go to has such a good deal on it that all the mess and dealing with used oil and such I can't pass up. I know that they sometimes don't do such a great job on our spotless Tahoes we've spent hours keeping clean, but at 42$ which includes tire rotation can't be beat. I spend 5-10 minutes while the truck is still in the pick-up bay to check vehicle all around. Once you leave it's on you. Even checking I've gotten home to find something. Twice they have called me after I've gotten home about oil that in the bay and came out to check my truck with some kind of pressure test, also once for the tire pressure reset. Tho this shows that they want to keep the customer happy I would have preferred for them to have done the job right at there shop. They also came out and cleaned the drops of oil they dripped across the spotless engine bay the one time I didn't check there work. They now have been to my house more times than my in-laws.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First oil change in 7 years / Oil analysts by Blackstone