Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2004 Malibu Remote Start issue

Old September 25th, 2013, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Malibu Remote Start issue

I drive a 2004 Malibu LS V6 with just under 100k on it. Bought the car just over a year ago and the Remote Starter hasn't worked since I've owned it.

I have checked fuses and attempted to reprogram it by holding the lock button on driver side door and then holding the lock button on my fob. Car chimed as if it recognized the reprogram, but nothing changed.

If I lock door and press start button on fob, the signals flash telling me it recognizes the command, but it won't start the car. I assume all my sensors are working fine because if I have a door or trunk open, it tells me in the display. So with no open doors indicated on my dash, I can only assume the sensors are fine.

Any other tips or help on things I should check would be appreciated!!!!!
Old October 25th, 2013, 10:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) The remote start can be disabled in the Driver Info Center (DIC) menu. Hit the menu on the radio control until you see the Remote Start option. Hit the enter button to toggle between on & off.

2) The remote start function has a hood interlock that if not working properly will prevent remote start. The interlock can be disabled so the remote start will work again. I believe the info has been posted in this forum before, and here is a link to another web site with detailed info: Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Electrical/Lighting Problems - Car Forums - Edmunds

3) Remote start will not work if the Check Engine light is on, for any reason.

Last edited by 2004MaxxLT; October 25th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old September 7th, 2017, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Have an 05 malibou and when I use the factory remote starter all that happens is the lights flash or it will start for about 5 seconds then shut off. How can this be fixed?
Cooldawg1999@yahoo.com