Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2006 Malibu Brake Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2012, 1:49 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Travis Truesdale,

It's possible that there is a connection issue. I assume the fuses and bulbs have been checked. If you would like, I can find other service centers in your area for you, if you provide your zip code.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 27th, 2012, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lights

well it is my understanding that on the 06 there isnt a fuse for brake lights its a direct controlled feed from the bcm. I have searched high and low for a fuse. Every Bulb on the car has been replaced all the way to interior light.
Old April 28th, 2012, 1:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If yours is a 2006, yes, the BCM supplies the power to the individual lamp filaments. If it worked before the repair (on constantly, was it the problem?), something got damaged during the repair. It's rather easy to damage the terminals by cranking down on the connector retaining bolts.
Old October 25th, 2012, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

my brake lights on my 2006 chevy malibu LT is out. A mechanic says it may be a module, but was not certain. When I press the brakes they will not come on at all.

Last yr I had the total opposite. They were acting in reverse order, when i hit the brakes they went off and when i removed my feet off brakes they came on. Well, in december, I got a new brake lamp switch installed. Can you tell me what this could be? What is a module?
Old October 26th, 2012, 5:53 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem i replaced thr brake switch and everything finally i gave up and took it to the dealer. They told me some switches must be programed or thay wonnt work so he tried reprogramming it after that didnt work he pulled the dash apart and found a loose conection after he retightened it ive never had that problem again knock on wood lol i hope this helps
Old October 26th, 2012, 1:16 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Purified Daughter,

It may be module related, however, a relearn may be in order too. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with your technician for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:25 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default cruise control switch

Originally Posted by kdcarman
I have a 2006 Malibu with a strange brake light problem.
The brake lights react in reverse order.

When the brake pedal is NOT pressed, the brake lights are on.

When the brake pedal is pressed, the brake lights turn off.

Any suggestions where to look?

Thanks
the cruise conreol awitch was the issue when my malibu was doint that exact thing