Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2006 Malibu Maxx LX9 3.5L no cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2023, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Malibu Maxx LX9 3.5L no cooling fans

I was driving and the sun was in my eyes and my county took it upon themselves to install these concrete monstrosities in the middle of 2 lane roads for pedestrian to cross. so since they are in the middle, the road goes around them taking up the shoulder. since the sun was in my eyes i kept going straight and my left wheels ran over this concrete they dumped in the middle of the street. So i blew out 2 tires. 5 minutes later someone else did the same as me and pulled up in back of me so I am thinking this probably happens often. So one rim was hopeless, put on my spare, the other had a few dings and i inflated it several times to get home. straightened the rim with a pair of vice grips later. Anyway, it ruptured my plastic radiator. so I installed a new radiator, since i was doing that i replaced both hoses and the surge tank hose. I used one of those refil tools that uses shop air to pull a vacuum on the coolant system then draw in the coolant, just like A/C with refrigerant. all was fine afterwards. My coolant temp gauge stayed in the middle as it always has before. The fans came on high at the middle of the temp gauge. Now in stop and go traffic the temp gauge goes up halfway between the next increment above the middle. The fans do not kick in, nor do the fans kick in when i put the A/C on. I connected my tech 2 and i can command the fans on low and high speed . I can read the ECT temp, it's around 220° F and like i said above the middle plateau it's always been at and the fans are not on. what does the ECM use to determine what turns on the fans? On the tech2 under the test option says Relay 1 history ok , relay 2 and 3 open . so if i can command the fans on I would assume the relays and fans are ok. I actually removed the relays and tested them with 12 volts, they all passed. I know that Nissan had 2 ECT's sensors one for the dash temp gauge and one for the ECM .
Old January 3rd, 2023, 4:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

You ought to take LOTS of pictures, and go after the county for repairs. Did you get any information from the other driver? You can take the county to small claims court over this hazard. Get on Nextdoor.com and see if you can find anyone else this happened to.