Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2007 Malibu and vibration

Old December 31st, 2008, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Malibu and vibration

I bought my 2007 Malibu 4 cyl new in December 2007. At about 2400 miles I noticed a vibration or shake in the front end when I accelerate.. It happens at 15 mph regardless of shifting, usually after warmup.

This problem was not seen to occur on 2005 or 2006 models. They changed the motor mounts on the 2007 Malibu (although they may have done this on same late-model 2006 models). There is a GM Bulletin about this : 060601025 November 06. (NHTSA Item Number - 10020726). In February 08 I visited a dealer who went through the "lower motor mount tightening procedure" and this had no affect and the issue is still there.

In June 08, I went to a second dealer, dropped off the car for service. Theysaid that they drove it with the head mechanic and they swore they never felt anything (!?)

On my third visit (back to the first dealer) in October 08, the head of service noticed it, drove some 2005 and 2006 versions and they did not shake. He found another 2007 model (from their Enterprise Car Rental affiliate) and it vibrated too. He called GM and they are aware of it but there is no official recall and they won't approve the dealer to replace anything. They gave the the stock answer of "This is how this powertrain will likely operate." I left disgusted. No one wants a new car that shakes. I can drive cars with 150,00 miles on them that don't vibrate!

I contacted the national Chevy customer service center and they pushed the issue up to another level. After 5 days (!) they called me back, (because of a weekend and they called an incorrect number) to keep repeating that this may be a "characteristic" of the vehicle. I said no, it's a DEFECT. He wanted me to go to a dealer for the FOURTH TIME. I said for what? He kept insisting and I requested a loaner which he balked at. After contacting the local delaer to arrange it he came back and said that the service manager said another visit will be a waste of everyone's time if GM doesn't approve of replacing any parts.

The customer service rep said a final decision will be made next week by the local GM rep. When I asked for a summary of my calls and visits, he refused.

Have any of you experienced this problem and received a fix? What are the chances that they will offer a buy back? Have any of you, or your friends, had to deal with the automaker via the Better Business Bureau or with a Lemon Law attorney? I've heard bad things about both but If they don't repair the car or offer a buy back what is my next step? How do I prepare?
Any help is appreciated and Happy New Year everyone!
Regards,
Sneakyuser
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:32 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Hello,

I had issues with my 2006 chevy malibu too, sounds possible that it could be an alignment issue along with the ball joint like mine was. I had several people look at my car too, and lucky for me a mechanic outside of GM found the problem. May be the same issue for you too?
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Sneakyuser,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration regarding this issue. You stated that you contact Customer Service regarding this issue, could you please provide Service Request number (PM if you prefer) of your case so I may look into this further?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You, two, quit responding to a post that's over 3 years old.
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Roast.