Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2008 Malibu - 100% dissatisfaction

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2007, 6:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Malibu - 100% dissatisfaction

Picked brand new 2008 Malibu from a dealer on Nov 20, 3 days later 100% dissatisfied with the new GMs 6-speed automatic, it is a piece of junk.
Nature of the problem: in the speed range between 10 - 30 mph in the slow traffic where you speed up alittle, than cost, than speed up again every time I touch the gas pedal there is a distinctkick in the drivetrain, which becomes annoying after a few times. Same thing happens when you make a turn and then try to speed up.Went to the dealer and he says that it is the way it normally works. I own a 2000 Malibu as well, just took it for the ride to compare, and what a smooth ride, even my 1993 GMC Safari van, which I traded in for this new piece of junk, ran smoother. Overall Ilike the styling (althoug workmanship is ofa typical for GM quality). GM says that it wants to compete with Camry and Accord with this new Malibu, aha, good luck.
So guys, if anyone conciders this one as a next wehicle - take it for a good test drive, or better rent it for a few days. I regret that I didn't.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 9:59 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Malibu - 100% dissatisfaction

I'm sure that just because you have had bad experiences with it so far doesn't mean everyone else has. It sounds more like you have a problem with the drivetrain. I'd take it back to the dealer and complain about the drivetrain and tell them to fix the kick in it. The ride quality you can't do much about except to get rid of the factory tires in favor of some Michelins or even BFGoodrichs.
Old November 24th, 2007, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

There is nothing wrong with the ride overall, in fact it is the quietest and smoothest car I ever owned, but when it comes to conditions described above, that kick cancelles all snmoothiness.
I've taken it back to dealer, in fact we test drove a similar one, the kick was there, although not as pronounced as on mine, maybe because that car was cold. But service manager stated that it is the normal operation for this transmission and it is not a problem. I am a lifelong GM owner, but this car with the price tag of $33,000 CDN may end my loyalty. I'm still hesitatiing of what to do, I like the vehicle overall.
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

i have a 2007 malibu and wish i waited for the 2008 model. it looks far better then the '07.

i have noticed that tranny kickback with my 2007 malibu ls and i thought it was just my driving that was causing it. Its when im slowing down to a redlight but turns green so i go to speed up a bit and u feel a light kick from the car.
Old November 24th, 2007, 11:49 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The kick your feeling is because it uses a electronic throttle control, took mesome getting used to, basically you cant gradually speed up I find.......when you try it lurches forward.........nothing you can do about it. and everyone uses the same setup now so they should all feel the same......
Old November 24th, 2007, 3:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

^ yeah X2

The ETC can be adjusted with a power programmer if they make one for it.
Old November 24th, 2007, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

oh ok. good to know. i was afraid it would lead to tranny problems
Old November 24th, 2007, 7:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most vehicles adjust to the driver as you put mileage on. The computer will go from factory settings to one thatmatches your driving. Give the thing some time and hopefully the shift/kick willimprove.
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Banned

They might also update the firmware for the transmission. They went through a number of software revisions with the same transmission in the Lambdas before developing one that everyone seems to be very happy with.

The same powertrain is used in the Saturn Aura and Pontiac G6. You might searching a forum for those cars to see if anyone has had a similar complaint, and if anything was done about it.

Good forum for the Aura: http://www.saturnfans.com
Old November 28th, 2007, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Almost got used to it. But tonight got into a havy traffic, was going 10-15 mph for an hour. That transmiision drove me crasy, it looks like it acts on its own in that speed range, shifting up and down with no reasons, and each shift is acompanied with that kick, which is more and more pronounced. It is frustrating. Going to see the dealer tomorrow again.

Quick Reply: 2008 Malibu - 100% dissatisfaction