Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2008 Malibu - 100% dissatisfaction

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2007, 12:04 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 2008 Malibu - 100% dissatisfaction

when mine did it and it annoyed me I just shifted to manual and locked it in 2nd or 3rd...no more shifts unless I say....
Old November 29th, 2007, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the same thing I do with my SS. I just put it into manual and leave it in 2nd. It makes city driving much easier.
Old November 29th, 2007, 5:19 PM
CF Pro Member

funner to especially after a little tune.
Old November 29th, 2007, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Took it for a ride with dealership manager, heaknowledged the problem, he said that it would annoy him as well.
I thought about shifting to manual too, and we tried it.On 1 st it does exactly the same. If I set it on 2nd it will stay there until stop and automatically goes to 1st.
How do you guys lock it on 2nd? Then thinking further - technically it should be easy enough to have some kind ofteaching mode, where not vehicle learns over theperiod of time, like they say,but driver teaches vehicle. I would trade some fuel efficiency for smoother shift.
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:08 PM
CF Pro Member

it is supposed to learn your driving habits and adjust, so it may get better over time....and you cant stop it from downshifting, only keep it from up shifting, and only in the SS, the 3.5 even in M or 'L' I think it is on those, it will up shift on its own....not sure on the 08 for this....
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

The 2008 Malibu's are having problems with the shifting, so far all are complaining about them and the dealer where my daughter works say they are reprogramming them so the shifts are more in tune with the driver way he or she drives city or highway or both, how they are doing that i have no clue..I drove a couple of them and i just don't think they are that bad but that is my view on it. To buy one oh no i will keep my 07 SS for sure.. Camaro is out of the question 40,000 to much for to little just like the ssr was drop dead before they get started..They have them in Australia left hand drive now so they are out just not in the states yet, Car and driver Mag. is where i seen the article.. I am waiting for the rear wheel drive implala's come back or the monte carlo's but i sure won't hold my breath on it...
Aj.
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

I just leased a new 08 LTZ. I actually came to this forum to see if anyone else was having a clunking in the transmission when in stop and go type traffic. Sure enough, I found this posting. I would say it is "normal" but I would assume that the issue will be resolved with a future software upgrade (or at least I hope it will be). Is somewhat annoying. The prior posting was dated 12/27/07. Wondering if anything new has come of this issue? The rest of the car is great so far (except that the day after I purchased the car, it rained. When I turned the wipers on, only the driver- side wiper worked. The passenger side did not budge. Turned out that the bolt was not tightened. I leased it for 2 years so ifthe tranny issuereally gets to be annoying I wont have to deal with it too long. I just hope GM will figure out the problem and have a fix for it. I wont waste my time going to the dealer for them to tell me "no problem found" or "Operating as Normal".
Old March 14th, 2008, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

I'm being communicating with the dealer and GM ever since I discovered the problem. They've admitted it, but said the it will be corrected within 1 year (they hope).
My lease is 4 years, and I am at the point of putting this one on Leasebusters. Too bad I put too much down to reduce the monthly payments, if it was 0 down, car would be on Leasebusters by now.
Old March 31st, 2008, 8:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Too bad you guys are experiencing this problem. I am under the assumption by what I have been reading that this is only for the LTZ v6 models. they did not offer the 6 speed auto in my 08 LT 4cycl at the time but said it will be available in the future. I have absolutely no complaints with the LT ride, very quiet and smooooooooth. 3 months now and I luv it. Could use more pep going up hill but there is always a trade off somewhere!

Ron

08 LT Malibu
94 Suburban
Old March 31st, 2008, 9:50 AM
Banned

The Aura and Lambdas have had many reflashes with the six-speed. But Malibu owners seem to be having even more problems with driveability than those owners did.

On a positive note, I have many of the Auras and Lambdas in my reliability research, and I can't recall anyone having a transmission hardware failure yet.

Still no pricing for the LTZ 4-cylinder, which will have this transmission.

Quick Reply: 2008 Malibu - 100% dissatisfaction