Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2009 malibu wont start if engine is hot.. but will with boost

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2019, 4:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KChevy75
Maybe by the time you jump start it, it has cooled down enough. Or the higher voltage is enough to bridge the gap in the wire.

Makes sense. I see fuse boxes for sale on eBay. I have a v6 3.5 would all the fuse boxes by the same for each model of that years malibu?
Old June 4th, 2019, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Go to about 8:12. This is after he's been applying heat to simulate engine temperatures. It immediately drops to 0 voltage.
Go to about 9:30 and there's a hairline crack in the copper wire. When cold it makes contact. When hot, the gap expands and voltage it lost.

Is is there a difference in the fuse boxes between the Malibu models. I have a v6 3.5
Old June 4th, 2019, 10:44 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The fuse box is probably different based on engine and even the options your vehicle has. I don't know for sure though. You'd also possible run into the same issue with a used fuse box. Some of these vehicles are probably in the salvage yard for this very issue. You may be better off visiting the dealer or getting the part number and checking online. I'm showing that depending on options, a new fuse box runs $180 to $232 at the online dealer parts sites.

If it was me, I'd want to verify that the problem is the fuse box first before replacing it. You could check each fuse with a multimeter for lack of voltage at the fuses that are ignition related. No voltage when hot but voltage when cold would mostly likely mean a fuse box issue. I've read a few comments from people having this issue where they were able to tap on the fuse box a few times and were then able to start it.
Old June 4th, 2019, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

The fuse box is probably different based on engine and even the options your vehicle has. I don't know for sure though. You'd also possible run into the same issue with a used fuse box. Some of these vehicles are probably in the salvage yard for this very issue. You may be better off visiting the dealer or getting the part number and checking online. I'm showing that depending on options, a new fuse box runs $180 to $232 at the online dealer parts sites.

If it was me, I'd want to verify that the problem is the fuse box first before replacing it. You could check each fuse with a multimeter for lack of voltage at the fuses that are ignition related. No voltage when hot but voltage when cold would mostly likely mean a fuse box issue. I've read a few comments from people having this issue where they were able to tap on the fuse box a few times and were then able to start it.

All the fuse boxes are the same they just don’t contain the fuses or relays that aren’t needed for the model
Old June 8th, 2019, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

Ok i ok I replaced the starter relay a few weeks ago. What’s the difference between the “start” relay and the “run crank” relay?
Old June 8th, 2019, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Ok i ok I replaced the starter relay a few weeks ago. What’s the difference between the “start” relay and the “run crank” relay?