Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2011 Chevy Malibu dies

Old January 13th, 2018, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Chevy Malibu dies

Episode 1, really cold weather lots of snow at a stoplight my car idles really low I thought it was going to stall. It didn't. Ran normal, 6 days later episode 2 I'm on my way home from work and I'm about 8 minutes into my ride going 55 up a hill and giving it more gas I noticed nothing was happening. I look at my rpms. They are at 0. I throw the car into neutral then into drive and nothing. I drifted off to the side of the road and shut it off then went to start it. It stalled but flashed service engine. Tried again while pumping on the gas and it fired up I drove the rest of the way home and it ran like normal. 2 days later yesterday episode 3, I went to inch forward at a left turn light and it did nothing. Rpms at 0. I shut it off and try to restart it and nothing. No gas. Pushed it to a nearby parking lot and after trying and trying to make it run my husband disconnected the positive battery cable and reconnected it after a minute and it ran the whole 60 miles home without a fuss. What do I do? Diagnostics say no codes. It doesn't cough or bog. I've had it since march
Old January 14th, 2018, 8:30 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

My guess is fuel pump
Old January 14th, 2018, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fuel pump

Could the fuel pump really do it with no warning? I would think it would act like it's running out of gas and run rough before it dies. Car started right up after my husband disconnected the positive battery cable and plugged it back in after a minute. He said he ran it back and forth all over the county yesterday and didn't have an issue. It ran normal. I hope it's not a computer. Appreciate all input.
Old January 14th, 2018, 9:51 AM
CF Monarch

It's electric, so it either works or it dosen't. I wouldn't expect any code other than a MAF sensor error as the engine is just shutting off. You need to have the fuel pressure checked, that's my opinion
Old January 14th, 2018, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fuel pressure

Do you know if auto parts stores check fuel pressure?
Old January 14th, 2018, 9:59 PM
CF Monarch

I doubt it, can you have any code checked
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default Codes

My car didn't throw any codes and so far it has driven normal. The person who ran it on a computer thinks that when my husband disconnected the positive battery cable and put it back on might have solved the issue and cleared the history on the computer.
Old January 17th, 2018, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default It did it again

This time it jerked and shuddered then died. No check engine light. Unhooked battery cable and put it back on and it started normal. I'm going to have it checked out tomorrow but could it be a computer? Maybe the maf sensor? I found online you and take it out while the vehicle is running and if it dies the sensor is good.??
Old January 17th, 2018, 6:31 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by rose93
This time it jerked and shuddered then died. No check engine light. Unhooked battery cable and put it back on and it started normal. I'm going to have it checked out tomorrow but could it be a computer? Maybe the maf sensor? I found online you and take it out while the vehicle is running and if it dies the sensor is good.??
If you unhook the MAF with it running, it will stay running. The analog setting in the pcm from the last data from the maf is what the pcm will adjust to, may not run for crap if the last data it logged was (ex.) summer, now it's winter.With the MAF you should have a code PO102 off effecincey. Still pointing to the fuel pump, IMO.
Old January 17th, 2018, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fuel pump replacement

Can I change my fuel pump without dropping the tank?

Search this Thread