Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2011 Malibu Enterprise rental, add technology group back?

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2011, 6:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Malibu Enterprise rental, add technology group back?

I purchased my wife wife a 2011 Malibu that is a "Program Car" per the dealer that I since discovered that the car was purchased new by Enterprise Rental. It appears that enterprise butts them with a technology package delete option.

The car has no XM although the radio has the selection to use XM.

The car has no On-Star.

The car has no Bluetooth.

I discovered all of the missing standard features after we purchased the car and already owned it a week.

I desire to know how difficult these things that I suspect are simple plug in modules are to buy and install.

Also, the car has the standard remote door lock key fobs, can I purchase the remote start key fob from the Chevy accessory site, and is it compatible with my retired rental car?

Had I known that this car was stripped of the entire technology group, I would have passed.
Old November 12th, 2011, 7:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry to hear it. Fleet vehicles are often ordered with OnStar delete and XM delete options as you found out. This is not always the case, though. The last two rental Malibu had both options plus Bluetooth. Too bad I was on Oahu with no XM coverage. As for your issue, I've so far never heard of anyone successfully retrofitting factory deletes. Also, remote start and keyless entry are two different things. If you don't have the remote start option, a remote start key fob is just going to do keyless entry.
Old November 14th, 2011, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

On the GM accessory web, it says that any car with remote door lock is already set for the remote start and all you need to do is buy the start key fobs and have the dealership activate them. I fart ordering them to learn that ( like your saying) it will not work. My dealer seems to think that getting the technology group added back would be a huge undertaking.

The really sad part is that since I got the car I learned that the company I work for has some deal that could get me into a new 2011 identical car for under $19,000. I payed $17,400 for the used 2011 rental with 23,000 miles on it.
Old November 14th, 2011, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Link to remote start where I read that.

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Che...e%2bStart/2011
Old November 14th, 2011, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Quote on the website.

Accessory Name Part Number MSRP (USD) Factory Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles with Remote Keyless Entry (AU0
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

The part you linked is the key fob plus programming that only the service department can perform. RPO code AU0 must be new for 2011 and must include the hood switch, then. All I can say is not to get suckered into some aftermarket remote start systems that come with intriguing features. It's going to crap out sooner or later and will be expensive to repair. As for discounts through work, I found that the only one worth mentioning is the real GM employee discount. All the rest, you can usually do better especially on, say, leftover 2011s around this time.
Old November 17th, 2011, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

So, it sounds like my car with the standard remote door locks should be compatible with this genuine GM optional remote start. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and see if they can verify or deny this as truth, and if it is true, order the OEM remote start. I'll be so happy if this works out!
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

You can also make sure the SPID label on the glove compartment door has AU0 on it. I for one don't care for the remote start feature (waste of fuel, potential hazards to neighborhood kittens that like to curl up under the hood) but your success in getting it activated may be of interest to others.
Old November 18th, 2011, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

EinST, the vin is 1G1ZC5EU9BF148020 in case that helps you see what all might be deleted beyond what I'm aware of.
Old November 18th, 2011, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Photo of that trash in the glove box:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1008515...93985434282130

Quick Reply: 2011 Malibu Enterprise rental, add technology group back?