Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2011 Malibu Trans. problems

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2012, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
jkrahn,

I was inquiring to see if you had a case regarding this issue. The dealer wasn't able to duplicate the problem? Does it only happen at highway speeds?

Louis
GM Customer Service

Service rep claims all worked well; not sure how they could miss it though. I seldom drive this car, but every time I do, I notice the problem. I intend to go back to the dealer next week to pursue further before taking this issue to a 'higher power'. It's a bit of a sticky situation for me as the dealership is owned and managed by my uncle and his sons.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 7:32 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jkrahn,

I understand. Please keep me posted. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 14th, 2012, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

I found this site by looking for transmission problems on my 2012<ST1</ST1. Seems I am not alone. Currently this car has 2900 miles on it and IS at the dealer having the transmission rebuilt. I am NOT IMPRESSED! We had a 2004 malibu V6 which was great! It is my wife’s car and she wanted a new one and based on past performance it seemed like a smart move. I took this in after our first long drive as the shift was erratic and seemed to slip. This was around 1900 miles. They car us a Loaner Malibu and said no problem found. I told them the loaner felt the same so maybe it was me. About 2 weeks ago I had a situation where I needed to speed up quickly, Step on the gas and NOTHING then Suddenly Kicks in. Last weekend it got worse, start from a stop light shift from 1 to 2n there was a big dead spot and then it kicked in, did the same from 2nd to 3rd. Took it to the dealer and went with an advisor and pulled on the road and he felt it right away. Went right back in to the next entrance. The said something is wrong and it needs to see the trany guy. They gave us a loaner curze ( more on that to come) After they had it a few days ( Seems the trany guy had a few ahead of us...makes me wonder....) They call and say it is a modulator and they had to call a special tech support number to verify and authorize this order. Next day they call back and said they were told it is not the modulator but something internal. Today they are scheduled to pull the trany.<O</O
The curze they gave us has 564 miles on it, almost a brand New car. IT has SERIOUS shifting problems too. It Jumps around between gears. slams into gear. I am calling them today on this. The lace>Malibu</ST1lace> loaner we had a few weeks ago, as stated earlier had the same shift issue as ours. I no longer think it was me but I do think there is SOMETHING seriously wrong with ></O>
Since our <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comlace>Malibu</ST1lace></st1:City> has already been in the shop 2X for this issue and we are not even at 3k miles I really wonder how long this will last. I plan to give GM the benefit of the doubt as overall my wife loves the car but I have my concerns on if this repair will last long time<O></O>
<O></O>

Last edited by inetport; May 14th, 2012 at 8:04 AM.
Old May 16th, 2012, 8:26 AM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> inetport,

I'm sorry to hear about this frustrating issue. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 17th, 2012, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 trans. problem

I went back to the dealer and they sent a tech. rep and scanner with me and the problem was immediately reproduced. After contacting G.M. the transmission tech. re-set some sort of module. I dont know yet if it worked as they said it would take some time to kick in.
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update on my trany

This is now the 2nd week with our Malibu still in the shop. The control Module was replaced and the transmission has been taken apart and almost finish with the rebuild. New Issue is we have to wait ANOTHER week for the seals to arrive to finish the work. The car has 2911 miles on it it is just 2 months old. I stuck with GM as we have always had good results but I guees the move to making cars in China has now taken the word Quality out of the picture. Our 1st loaner was a 2012 malibu which had a slipping transmisson just like ours. We currently have a loaner Curze with 500 miles. It slips and at low speeds constant jumps between gears. Ive already made the dealer aware of this and asked what is going on? If the rebuild fails I think it may be time to go get a car made in America... for Example, which is really ironic, a Toyota. It was bulit in the US and most of the parts were also made here. The few which were not were made in Japan NOT China.
Old May 18th, 2012, 8:12 AM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jkrahn,

Thank you for the update. I hope the transmission technician was able to fix the issue. Please keep us posted.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default malibu transmission problems

I was just talking to my brother that i talked into buying a malibuin 2011( that they hate.) When I askedthem why they hate it because I liked the pontiacG-6 (same chassis), he responded the transmission has slow response when you step on the gas after slowing down or if you want to step on it to pass. He said it has been taken to the purchasing dealer and another dealership much bigger and ther result was the same.... nothing. After checking it out, the selling dealer cleaned a solenoid and of course it did nothing. The second dealer gave a ride along tech and he noticed nothing though it was doing it all time, and the dealership sent them home like nothing was going on and no explaination. And as the last poster noted about the cruise, it too shifts wierd in the LT model. This is because it has a small 1.4L turbo charged engine with a 6 speed transmission. It is not a pleasant driver, shifting constantly and do not step on it hard at 60-70 mph because you will not pick up speed just RPM as the transmission downshifts too far because of pedal position and the car actually loses speed. you have to push just a little for a single gear downshift to get speed and rpm. I Have a 2011 Silverado and going through a round-about it hesitates when i step on the gas because it is still in cylinder drop mode and too high of a gear both. If I didn't know any better I would have it in the shop too. I am a ASE Master Certified Auto Tech and I would like to here what GM is Saying About these Malibu transmissions.
Old May 26th, 2012, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Transmission rebuild failure

My saga continues. After waiting 3 weeks for the dealer to get the parts to rebuild my transmission with on 2911 miles on it they completed the work yesterday morning. The dealer took it out for a ride. Drove it a grand total of 6 miles and said. NO CHANGE!!!! Now We have a car with 2917 miles on it, A rebuild transmisson and STILL not working. The Dealer is GREAT the have kept me posted and are doing everything they can. They are requesting a NEW transmission but need approval. However it was Friday morning before a holiday weekend so NO one at GM can approve it till Tuesday at the earliest. I did tell then I may be going the LEMON law and they said we understand. I am also finding as I talk to others this problem seems to be wide spread.

Last edited by inetport; May 26th, 2012 at 1:44 PM.
Old May 26th, 2012, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

hi i have 2011 malibu 11.000 the car dont move forward just to reverse i sent the car to other country the scaner code is p00700 and p00723 the chevrolet dealer in Ecuador dont acept the car i dont know what i can do if somebody can halp me thanks

Quick Reply: 2011 Malibu Trans. problems