Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2012 Malibu Gas Cap Issue and Transmission Shift Issue

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2016, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Malibu Gas Cap Issue and Transmission Shift Issue

Hello to all, I am new to this forum. I am having a terrible time with our 2012 Malibu regarding the gas cap and the transmission. With the gas cap, the check engine light was on and the cap didnt seem to screw down tightly so I replaced it with a GM part. But it still wont tighten down correctly. Anyone else have this issue? And now the biggest complaint and issue. The way the transmission shifts or doesn't shift. I have seen other posts regarding this issue and GM wont do anything about it. These cars have a major problem with a "delayed" or "slow" acceleration issue from a stop or slow down. I have contacted my local dealer asking about a re program or something that can be done. And all they say is "this is how they are built" Im calling BS on chevy! This is a hazard when when another car is behind you and you start moving, but very slowy then the car decides to actually accelerate and move. . Also how long is the warranty on items like transmissions and engine components on these cars? My car has 65,xxx miles on it and we purchased it used from a dealer in 2013.
Old October 4th, 2016, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something here. I was told the same thing about the shifting. Try making a left turn and the car wont go for a second or two, then it takes off. When this happens in the snow the tires just spin and your stuck with cars coming at you. VERY scary. I'm sure nothing will be done till people start to die.