Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2015 Malibu 2LT trunk unexpectedly opens

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2022, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry500
I took my 2015 Malibu 2LT to the dealership to see if they could determine why the trunk lid sometimes opens unexpectedly. It's happened twice so far with the car locked over a period of about 5 months. I'd come out to the car as it sits in the parking lot and the trunk is wide open. The dealership went through their diagnostics but could not reproduce the condition. There must be something that can be done especially since this car is still in warrantee.

I know I'm not accidentally pressing the trunk button on the key fob. After it happened the first time, I put the fob in my shirt pocket.
Hi I'm having the same problem. Did you figure out what to do? I took it in and they told me. The switch was bad. And due to the switch going out and having problem with closing it all the time my latch is no good anymore either. I got the car about a year ago and it has done it sense than but because I got the car as Is from the dealership there wasn't anything they could do for me. Even though at the time it started to happen I had only had the car a week. And yes I went to to them right away about the problem.
Old May 19th, 2022, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Felisha
Hi I'm having the same problem. Did you figure out what to do? I took it in and they told me. The switch was bad. And due to the switch going out and having problem with closing it all the time my latch is no good anymore either. I got the car about a year ago and it has done it sense than but because I got the car as Is from the dealership there wasn't anything they could do for me. Even though at the time it started to happen I had only had the car a week. And yes I went to to them right away about the problem.
This issue is still confusing. It hasn't reappeared in a long time, so I've forgotten about it. Way back years ago, the dealership attempted to replace the fuse that controlled the trunk release, but when they ordered it and attempted to replace it in the car, I was told they received the wrong part and couldn't complete the repair. Then, for some reason the problem didn't happen again anyway for many years. Maybe once a year or so, I'll see that the instrument panel on the car shows the trunk is open, and I'm still not sure how that happens, and I'm thinking maybe I am accidentally pushing the trunk button on the fob and not realizing it. A previous entry on this problem states that it is possible to reprogram the fob so it takes a longer time for the button press to work. So maybe that is an answer.