Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2016 Chevy Malibu LT. Vapor canister loose

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2021, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Chevy Malibu LT. Vapor canister loose

So I am looking for a little help on how to fix an issue that I’ve noticed on my car. A few weeks ago, I ran over a branch. I believe it knocked the canister loose. It isn’t touching the ground but it is pretty close. I don’t have any engine/transmission/emission lights on my dash. My car is driving like normal. No changes in the driving abilities. The only issue is that the canister is hanging really low. I suspect that there is a bracket or cover that used to hold it in place. But at some point it must have been knocked off.

I took my car to the Chevy lot and the services department mechanic told me he needed to remove my entire gas tank to figure out what is wrong with my emissions.

BUT THERE IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT! I just need to stop it from hanging under my car (so I don’t damage it). I think he was trying to pull a cash grab on me. There are no leaks, no weird/new sounds, and it doesn’t drive any differently.

Can anyone tell me if there is a bracket, splash shield, cover, or mount that holds this thing in place? I’m sure I can fix it myself. I just need help identifying what holds it in place. I will attach photos of the part and how it looks under the car.

Old June 6th, 2021, 7:09 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Welcome from Florida. As a quick fix you can tie wrap in place until you can figure out a permanent fix..
Old June 14th, 2021, 12:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

There is a bracket under the hood, Oldchevy's idea will work as a stop gap, but it really needs to be in place properly. Those vapor canisters are not cheap. One blown truck tire tread or something else, and it'll be gone. Are you getting any codes or dash indications, as that hose looks like its dangling there as well?
Old June 14th, 2021, 8:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the canister body has a molded bracket that slides into a sleeve on the side of the fuel tank.

without seeing it and knowing what came loose or broke...can't say how to fix it.